Campus makes changes for exam week

As the fall semester draws to a close, final exams will be at the forefront of student life.
 To coincide with students’ end-of-semester mindsets, changes in study spots, campus eateries and residence halls will be made.
 One of these changes will be different operating hours for campus eateries.
Bill Broyles, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said the Colvard Student Union food court and Einstein Bros. Bagel Company in the Mitchell Memorial Library have extended their hours to accommodate students who are studying late.
“Starbucks in the Colvard Student Union, and Einstein’s in the library will be open until midnight on Sunday, Dec. 9 through Tuesday, Dec. 11,” Broyles said. “We will have free coffee outside Einstein’s after midnight, until it is gone, for those very late-night studiers.”
Subway will be closed beginning Dec. 5.
“We have to do some utility infrastructure work in Perry that will require us to close Subway.  We are doing it before the holidays to ensure that we are complete prior to school reopening in January,” Broyles said. “We regret that we have to close this popular campus restaurant, but the utility work must be done and we feel this time period causes the least inconvenience for our customers.”
Along with the Student Association, the Marketplace at Perry will host the Pajama Jam.
On Dec. 10, students will be offered a breakfast dining option from 8-10 p.m.
“There will be a DJ and other entertainment to offer students an opportunity to take a break from their studies and to enjoy time with friends,” Broyles said.
He said with the increasing stress of exams and final grades, he hopes students keep eating habits in mind.
“We hope that students will maintain a healthy diet during exam week because we want them to be at their academic best.  We will be ready to take care of them,” Broyles said. 
As final grades and final exams approach, students utilize many ways to help keep anxiety levels at a minimum.
Studying can be the most important factor in limiting stress. The Mitchell Memorial Library will be open 24 hours from Dec. 2 at 1 p.m. to Dec. 13 at 4:45 p.m.
Landry McMillan, senior marketing major, said avoiding all-nighters and studying a good amount of time prior to the night before an exam are best for students looking to steer clear of stress.
“You’ll just have to think of other things to tweet about besides being in the library and how much coffee you’ve had and how many hours you’ve been awake, like everyone else,” McMillan said.
Lana Johns, professor of music, said pulling an all-nighter is not wise.
“Get your sleep.  Pulling an ‘all-nighter’ generally ends in disaster.  Your brain/body needs time to process and recuperate,” Johns said. “If you cheat it of this time you are asking for a huge ‘brain dump’ right before the exam.  Even if you only get four or five hours of sleep, that’s much better than nothing. ”
She also advised students to focus on study materials and not other activities but breaks should be taken regularly.
“You cannot study continuously.  Take breaks, healthy ones, like a walk in the fresh air, a short workout at the gym, or just a quick snack or beverage with a friend.  Then get right back to work,” Johns said. “Things that were difficult before will magically seem to now have answers.”
The end of the semester also brings residence hall closings.
Residence halls will be closed on Dec. 15 at 2 p.m. and will be reopened on Jan. 4 at 2 p.m.
Hannah James, freshman elementary education major, said she has to clean out her dorm room fridge and unplug it. Her residence adviser also has to check the room and swipe her student ID so she cannot get back into the hall until it reopens.
“I’m fine with my dorm being closed for that long, but I sure hope I don’t forget anything,” James said.
Final exams are from Dec. 7-13 and December 5-6 are reading days.