Blackberry Smoke to perform at Rick’s Cafe

This Thursday, the group Blackberry Smoke will perform at Rick’s Cafe. Blackberry Smoke is a southern-rock band that draws influence from country, bluegrass, gospel and even metal music.
The group is comprised of front-man Charlie Starr, sibling rhythm section Richard and Brit Turner (bass and drums), guitarist Paul Jackson and, more recently added, keyboardist, Brandon Still.
Blackberry Smoke formed in 2000 and has since enjoyed successful tours. The band has shared the stage with Montgomery Gentry, ZZ Top, The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker Band and Cross-Canadian Ragweed.
About the band’s music, Starr said, “There are moments in our show that are straight out of a Jimmy Martin or Flatt & Scruggs set list.” On Blackberry Smoke’s website, “Bluegrass is a beautiful form of American music. Just like southern-rock, bluegrass is about really good songs and good musicianship. You just spread out and see where it will go.”
I had the pleasure of seeing Blackberry Smoke at Voodoo Fest in 2010 and was very impressed by the energetic and fun show the band put on. They have something to offer fans of country, rock and bluegrass music.
The Matt Poss band will be joining Blackberry Smoke Thursday, with doors opening at 8 p.m. and music starting around 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and go up to $12 the day of the show, available at Rick’s Cafe and online at rickscafe.net.