Fifth year seniors, common phenomena

Many Mississippi State University students are staying in college for longer than the traditional four years, according to a statistical analysis of the MSU graduation rate.
Provost Jerry Gilbert said the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness calculates MSU’s average graduation rate by tracking the number of incoming freshmen who graduate from the university within six years.
The six-year graduation rate at MSU is the highest among Mississippi public universities with a 59 percent six-year graduation rate averaged from classes entering between 2000 and 2004. The average five-year graduation rate is 52 percent, while the four-year rate is 28 percent, he said.
Gilbert said he thinks MSU leaders would like to create programs to encourage students to stay in school to help raise its six-year graduation rate from 59 percent to 65 percent in the near future.
An increased student involvement is one possible reason students are choosing to stay in college for longer periods, Gilbert said.
“I think the student of today is more engaged and has more options for on-campus and off-campus involvement than students did a number of years ago,” he said.
Gilbert said financial responsibilities and cooperative education programs are also possible causes for the growing number of students with non-traditional graduation times.
“An activity that increases the time to graduation is involvement in the cooperative education program where a student alternates study and work semesters,” he said. “A co-op experience gives the student real-world experience and makes that person more valuable to an employer.”
Kailey Redding, a senior communication major, said she stayed in college due to a lack of job opportunities.
“I planned to get my two associate degrees and then find an entry-level job, apprenticeship or internship, but that never happened. I decided then to just go ahead with my bachelor degree,” she said.
Redding said she chose communication to make herself more marketable as an employee.
“I thought communication would add a different perspective to my design ability and add to my skill set,” she said.  “I keep practicing my skills, and I learn all I can to keep sharp.”
Shaun Cooper, a senior secondary education major, said he realized he would need more than four years to graduate when he transferred to MSU in 2009 after changing his education concentration from English to science.
“Taking a variety of classes in so many subjects doesn’t always fit the degree plan, so I needed to take some extra time to complete my science courses,” he said.
Cooper said he does not regret the decisions that led him to stay in college for five years, even if that was not his original plan.
“I wouldn’t change anything about my educational path. I have had the chance to explore many career avenues, venture abroad and spend more time divulging myself into a variety of interests here at MSU,” he said.
Redding said she has used the extra time in college to her advantage by making more social and professional connections and increasing her areas of interest.
“I like being non-traditional. I know so much more, and I feel like a pro at playing the college game,” she said. “I’ve made many friends and professional connections. It’s all been a great experience.”
Cooper said he thinks it is essential for students to understand staying in college longer than the traditional four years is equally as rewarding when the student graduates and receives his or her degree.
“For all students, regardless of the (time) spent or age, graduating with a degree we are proud in is of utmost importance,” he said.