TIGERS ROAR INTO SEC

The University of Missouri is officially adding its name and traditions among the ranks of other universities in the Southeastern Conference.

The news is cause for enthusiasm from Mizzou fans all over. Chad Moller, associate athletic director for media relations, said Mizzou fans are anxious to be a part of the SEC.
“We’re all extremely excited and proud to be joining a conference that’s as distinguished and recognized as the SEC, and we’re really looking forward to getting to know our conference partners so we can share our traditions and what we’re all about here at Mizzou,” he said.
Many of the traditions at Mizzou are similar to those at Mississippi State University. According to Cathy Scroggs, vice chancellor for student affairs at MU, the fans are also devoted to tailgating, despite the difference in temperature. “We have quite a bit of tailgating that goes on at our football games,” Scroggs said.  “In Missouri it’s pretty warm at the first few games, but when it starts to get colder, that gives us even more energy.”
Moller also commented on the tailgating crowd for games in Missouri.

“Our fans are really known for tailgating,” Moller said.  “Unfortunately for quite a stretch awhile back, we weren’t successful at football, but we still drew a large attendance because of how much our fans enjoy being out there.”
They start early and finish late when it comes to tailgating, Scroggs said.
“If the game is at 1 p.m., people will be tailgating from 6 a.m. until late in the night,” she said.  “So I think we should be able to keep up with MSU when it comes to that.”
The Mizzou Tigers are not daunted by lack of success at games. 
Steve Shroff, MU alumnus from the class of 1994, said even when the team was not at its best, everyone still came out to show their support.
“When I was there, our football team was terrible, but I still enjoyed the things my friends and I did together,” Shroff said.  “My favorite tradition is always homecoming. I always enjoyed all the festivities around that, and I still have fun going back and participating in all those activities.”
Mizzou has a number of other traditions centered around football.  Another ritual prior to the game is the Tiger Walk.
Like the Dawg Walk, the football team has started the tradition of a ceremonial walk to the field before each game, Moller said.
The school’s tiger mascot, Truman, pumps up the crowd during games.  Moller said Truman is named after President Harry S. Truman, who was also from Missouri.
During games there are several cheers and chants the fans participate in to cheer on their team.
Scroggs said a crowd favorite is when the fans spell out their team nickname across the field.
“The student side of the stadium or arena shouts out ‘M-I-Z!’ and the alumni side shouts back ‘Z-O-U!'” Scroggs said.  “They can really get the place going with that one.”
Jill Shroff, 1994 Mizzou alumna, said the chant is actually a staple on and off the field.
“It’s also used to let someone know you’re a Mizzou fan,” Shroff said.  “When we are on vacation outside of Missouri, and we wear an MU shirt or hat, at least a couple of people will say ‘M-I-Z!’ to us in passing, and we respond ‘Z-O-U!’.”
Missouri also encourages its SEC opponents to make the trip to Columbia, Mo., to experience the atmosphere for themselves.
“I hope lots of people come up here because it’s a very welcoming city and fan base,” Moller said.  “Everyone here would definitely roll out the red carpet to show people a good time.”
Scroggs said Missouri students cannot wait to get started.
“I think everybody at Mizzou is really excited about being part of the SEC and being a part of all the different institutions’ traditions around athletics and football,” Scroggs said.
MSU is not scheduled to play MU for the upcoming year, but Moller said the team and fans are ready when the time comes.
“I think we’ll fit right in,” Moller said.