Dietary needs met at MSU

Mississippi State University Dining Services strives to provide quality food options for all students — including students with special dietary needs.
Dana Clemmons, sous chef at the Marketplace at Perry, said students should utilize the information available at the counters in Marketplace at Perry to make informed dietary decisions.
“We have signs that warn of the most serious food allergens, such as nuts and seafood.  We strive to have accurate nutritional signs placed for all food items that include a list of ingredients — taken directly from our recipes — so that all customers know exactly what they are eating,” she said.
For gluten-free students, Clemmons said MSU Dining Services has developed a working model programthat she hopes to be able to expand to include others customers with special diets, such as a vegan diet.
“We have some gluten-free dry goods, such as bread, cereal and muffins available every day, as well as a range of vacuum-sealed meals that we prepare,” she said. “The meals are vacuum sealed to prevent any cross-contamination and then frozen so that we can provide a wider range of availability for our customers without sacrificing the quality of the food.”
Kathy Ashworth, MSU Dining Services C-Store manager, said the P.O.D in the Union also carries a variety of gluten-free products.
Clemmons said students with concerns should always ask questions about the food.
“The best tip I can give to anyone with a special dietary need who wants to eat anywhere outside their own home is to ask as many questions as they need to in order to feel comfortable about the food,” she said. “At the Marketplace at Perry, we strive to make sure that all of our servers know what is in the food, but we also have a sous chef on site at all times that can answer any questions the customers have about any of the food. We realize that for some of our special-needs customers, avoiding some foods is a life or death situation, and we take our responsibility very seriously.”
Amy Stevenson, nutrition analyst and sustainability leader, said the number of students with special dietary needs has grown.
“In the past three years, we have grown from helping one gluten-free student to helping 15 students. The amount of students with an allergy or diet restriction is on the rise, and we have made it possible for these students to (eat) meals on a daily basis,” she said.
Stevenson said students can use nutrition resources at Longest Student Health Center.
“(Students can use) resources on campus such as Mandy Conrad, our dietician on campus at Longest (Student) Health Center,” she said. “She helps with allergies by making sure they are getting proper nutrition. Our staff is always willing to support those with special dietary needs. We are here to help.”
Jennifer Barnette, MSU Dining Services marketing manager, said Templeton Dining offers healthy food options and exercise incentives for students.
“Templeton Dining is taking on healthy initiatives by adding a smoothie station with fresh-made smoothies, along with grab-and-go salads, wraps and energy drinks,” she said.  “These grab-and-go items can be purchased with flex dollars or other forms of payment and are great options on the go. In partnership with the Sanderson Center, we are offering half-off entrée coupons to those who work with a trainer there.”
Clemmons said MSU Dining Services is continuously striving to improve options for students with special dietary needs.
“We’ve been gathering feedback from the students so that we can tailor future menu items to the desires of our customers,” she said.