Salads tossed into Union mix

A new eatery is now open in Colvard Student Union as part of efforts to offer healthier options and better meet customers’ needs this semester.
Jennifer Barnette, marketing manager with MSU Dining Services, said in an email Toss It Up opened on Jan. 9 in place of Bleecker Street. After conducting numerous surveys, focus groups and speaking directly with customers, the concept was deemed popular.
“We wanted to do a more fresh approach to a salad and deli concept,” Barnette said.
The decision to close Bleecker Street and open Toss It Up was a quick turnaround. Plans were made at the end of the fall semester to have the new dining option open at the start of the spring semester, she said.
One of the main objectives behind the switch is to demonstrate to students that eating healthy, nutritious food can be easy and delicious, Barnette said.
“With fresh products made right there in front of our customers, Toss It Up will complement our already existing locations and offer another great healthy option with MSU Dining,” she said.
The items on the menu at Toss It Up are similar to what was offered at Bleecker Street, except the focus is centered on spotlighting trendy and popular salads as well as sandwiches that are offered in a new and exciting way, she said. Toss It Up also offers grab-and-go options for customers who are in a hurry.
“We want this to be your go-to spot for fresh and healthy eating in the student union,” Barnette said. “MSU Dining is always doing research to better understand the needs and preference of our customers. Toss It Up will offer fresh, tasty dining options for students looking to manage their health and lifestyle goals.”

Amanda Minyard, senior elementary education major, said she is optimistic about Toss It Up, but is concerned with convenience and affordability for all students.
“Bleecker Street was deemed one of the healthier choices in the past, (but) in my opinion, it was the steep prices of their selections that led to (its) downfall,” Minyard said.
Minyard said a salad bar restaurant in the Union is likely to increase her healthy eating habits while on campus but only if the prices are reasonable. Students sometimes choose to eat unhealthy foods because fast food is cheaper than the healthier selections, she said.
 ”I do like the fact that MSU is striving to encourage the students to make more nutritious selections. It is a good step forward in getting the MSU community headed in the direction of living a healthier life,” she said. “A new restaurant is always exciting to try and I’m looking forward to seeing what Toss It Up has to offer the students and faculty of MSU.”
Joe Pongetti, freshman kinesiology major, said he eats in the Union approximately five days a week, but never ate at Bleecker Street. He said he is skeptical of a “healthy eatery” such as Toss It Up having much success against Chick-fil-A or Panda Express, especially when freshmen can use a block meal in Perry Cafeteria and get a healthy meal for much cheaper.
“I don’t think Toss It Up will be successful,” Pongetti said. “I wouldn’t mind eating there, but the odds are it will not (be successful).”