Bulldogs win championship, stay undefeated after three games

Non-conference games can often be quite dull in any sport. The hype brought by an SEC opponent is non-existent, which often leads to a less enthusiastic crowd. Teams can easily overlook these games and focus solely on conference play.
But for the Mississippi State soccer team, this past weekend’s games in the Bulldog Classic featuring the University of Tennessee at Martin, Mississippi Valley State and South Alabama were just as important as SEC games. State defeated UT-Martin 3-2 and South Alabama 5-0 to become the Bulldog Classic champions.
Last season MSU lost three non-conference games and barely missed out on a trip to the SEC Tournament. With postseason hopes on every player’s mind, sophomore Amy Hoover said winning these games early on will give the team confidence going into conference play.
“We know we want to make it to the SEC and NCAA Tournament this year, and in order to do that, we have to win these games,” Hoover said. “We come in with a tremendous amount of confidence knowing we’re going to take it to these teams and knowing we’re the better team coming in.”
However, on Friday night it took a half for the team to get into that frame of mind. UT-Martin led the Dogs 1-0 at the half, but head coach Neil MacDonald fired up his team, causing the girls to come out much more aggressive.
Freshman Honeye Heydari scored her second goal of the season to tie the game at one, and junior Elisabeth Sullivan added a goal to put the Dogs on top. The Skyhawks tied the game at two, but Sullivan responded one minute later to give MSU a lead that help up the final 10 minutes of the game.
Sullivan, who was named Most Valuable Player of the tournament, recorded her first two-goal game of her career, and she said at halftime MacDonald told the girls they needed to pick it up and could definitely win the game.
“I just love how we didn’t give up,” Sullivan said. “It was really awesome to keep pushing through. The whole team did not give up, and that was the key to everything.”
But Sullivan was not the only Bulldog to have a two-goal game last weekend. Hoover also recorded her first career two-goal game Sunday against South Alabama. Hoover and the rest of her teammates put on a scoring clinic and shutout the Jaguars 5-0. Freshman Halee Heltsley scored her first goal of the season, and Sullivan added another.
With such a big lead, several freshmen were able to get valuable playing time and experience. Caitlin Maloney, Mary Kathryn Taylor, Gracie Irby, Shannon Palmer and Addie Tomlin saw action in the game. Two other freshmen started for the Dogs; Heydari and Shelby Jordan have made a name for themselves only three games into the season. The girls played high school soccer together at University School of Jackson and are making an impact early for MSU.
MacDonald said the team has quality players in the freshman class who are very committed.
“Obviously, Honeye’s been playing out of her skin since she got here and is a huge threat in front of the goal,” MacDonald said. “Shelby Jordan at right back is so steady and does a great job of getting it forward, as well.”
Heydari, along with teammates Hoover and Morganne Grimes, were named to the All-Tournament team. Grimes and senior goalie Skylar Rosson led a defense that recorded its first shutout of the season. On the other side of the ball, the 10 goals scored by the Dogs in their first three games is the most in that span since 2001.
The undefeated Bulldogs have four non-conference games remaining to build their resume. The team travels to Southern Miss this weekend to take on Georgia State and the University of Louisiana Monroe in the Southern Miss Tournament. State will then return home to host Mississippi Valley State and Southern Miss the following weekend.
MacDonald said the girls do not need a lot of motivating for these games because they are very committed to the cause.
“If we’re looking at the National Tournament, we’ve got to win these games so it gives us confidence to build on going into the SEC games,” MacDonald said. “The girls want to do well for themselves and the fans, and the first three games they have come out and their attitudes have been fantastic.”