Starkville Community Theatre presents ‘The Octette Bridge Club’

For the first time in 25 years, the award-winning Starkville Community Theatre will perform P.J. Barry’s “The Octette Bridge Club” Sept. 13 to 16 and 18 to 22.
Pattye Archer, the play’s director, said all performances will begin at 7:30 p.m., with the exception of Sept. 16, which will be a 2 p.m. matinée.
“We do nine performances because it is a small theatre that seats 89 people. We have over 600 season ticket holders, but we’re always looking for more people to come,” Archer said.
Each season ticket costs $50 and is good for four entrances during the year, Archer said.
Patrons can also buy individual tickets at the door for $15. Student tickets are $10, but a current school ID must be presented at the time of purchase.
Thomas LaFoe, vice president of the play selection committee, said while SCT has strived to perform different shows every season for the past 36 years, “The Octette Bridge Club” was one production his committee decided it would like to bring back.
“We picked shows that were 15 years or older and asked the audience to vote on what they would like and after all the results were in, the play selection committee read through those and picked ‘The Octette Bridge Club’ from that group,” he said. “I know a lot of the attachment to this show was that it did really well at the Mississippi Theatre Association competition and 25 years ago, they announced a tie for Best Supporting Actress, and all eight of the actresses got that award.”
Archer said she would classify the play as a comedy-drama because there are both funny and serious moments.
“It’s a story about eight sisters that get together every other Friday and play bridge,” she said. “It’s really a story about their relationship as sisters and how they deal with the ups and downs of life. ”
Because the play is set in a different time period, Archer said it may give younger generations a greater appreciation for older generations.
“People had different expectations and women acted differently,” she said. “They didn’t have the kind of opportunities that we do and they expected different things from family life, so it’s been really interesting to delve into that.”
For this particular play, Archer said the cast has been busy rehearsing since the first of August.
Archer also said one particular challenge with this production is the eight actresses are playing bridge for a big part of the show.
“To be able to do that, you have to be able to carry on a conversation and play cards at the same time,” she said. “Also, you’re sitting at a table, so to be able to stage that so the audience can still see what’s going on, you have to try to make it realistic.”
Archer said she strongly encourages everyone to come to the play, especially those who have never been to one before or those who may not fashion themselves as avid theatre fans.
“It really is a nice night. It’s as affordable as anything else, and it’s basically the price of a movie nowadays,” she said. “If you’re in school here, I think this is a great way to get involved with things that are happening in the local community and to expand your horizons, which is what college is about.”
Whether helping to paint a set, bringing food for opening night parties, making a monetary donation or lending objects to be used as props, Archer said there are lots of ways for people to support SCT along with attending performances.
“There are great opportunities that are applicable to particular majors, but there are also just great opportunities for meeting new people and having fun,” she said. “We’re always looking for more volunteers, so we don’t ever turn anybody away.”
Archer said she enjoys directing plays because it is much like putting a puzzle together.
 ”You’ve got all these different moving parts and people with different emotions, and you are trying to pull them together so the audience sees an overall picture and gets an overall message,” she said.
Lorraine Hughes, an MSU math instructor who has been involved with SCT since spring 2010, said she is very excited about her first main role.
“There’s something so dynamic about live theatre,” she said. “With theatre, you get to explore the ‘what if:’ what if the character thought this way and how would they feel and what would they say? We get a lot of support from the community and that helps make the whole experience fun and memorable.”
Matt Crane, an MSU alumnus and reporter for the Starkville Daily News who has been involved with SCT for about five years, said theatre has provided him a fun outlet to meet a lot of interesting and caring people.
“A lot of the friendships I have made in the past five years have been because of theatre,” he said. “I think it will be fun for the audience to get to see the humorous and dramatic sides of family and the connection between these eight sisters and the love that they share. I think people will get to see some superb performances.”