Will Bryant: nice alumnus makes cool things

%26%23160%3B

Upon careful research begun in the fall of 2008, I have come to the completely unbiased opinion of Mississippi State University graduate Will Bryant as such: he is one of the nicest, most gifted, effectual and infectiously positive people one could ever meet.
Since completing the graphic design program in 2008, this independent illustrator, designer and self-proclaimed “professional goofball,” has been spreading smiles and good vibes with his many and varied creations.
Starkville veterans or fifth-year seniors, such as myself, may have our first fond memory of Will Bryant as the puppeteer behind the events of “The Hooded Deer,” but it is likely you’ve seen his work around. Will has worked with esteemed clients such as Nike Global, Facebook, Stussy, Dent May, Florence & The Machine, Chronicle books, New York Times Magazine, Converse, Ray Ban, TOMS and the list continues.
His work, seen on this page, echoes what he describes as two of his most important expressions: positivity and play.              
According to a bio written for his exhibition at MSU (Wait for it; we’re getting to that), “Bryant’s work is about language, nostalgia, the senses and nonsenses. This includes but is not limited to: ’90s basketball, the everyday, pop culture, process, art history, cats and self-deprecation. The work can be experienced in various forms such as drawing, painting, lunch dates, printmaking, publications, backyard barbecues, sculpture, epic dance parties and other happenings.”
Whichever way you experience Will or his work, it is sure to be full of personality and positive energy.
Over Starbucks, I was lucky enough to pick his brain about a number of topics, ranging from what he really wants his work to express to the sentiment that ’90s country/George Strait is incredible. Here are some highlights:

Q: You say you make stuff because you get sad if you don’t. Can you elaborate on what creating art means to you – whether in relationship to yourself or others?
A: For me it’s thisnecessity – it’s something that I’m here to do, I have to do. I can’t not do that. Whether I call it art or not, it still feels weird to me, trying to label things. I just never liked labels.
I feel like pinpointing, putting it in this genre where it has to be something; why can’t it be on all these different fences? Because that’s how I am … I mean it comes to everyday life. Instead of it being “is this art?” What is art? … Sometimes I look at it through the lens of contemporary art and if it matters or not to me; it’s like building something with my wife for our house.
Like having a backyard party and entertaining everyone and creating this atmosphere of putting up decorations and  stylizing the place, and then generally hosting someone and sharing a meal and having conversations… that’s part of the research that goes into art.
So it’s once I realized that that happens all the time, and it’s all part of the process of making, its life. Its not necessarily like this other thing that I sometimes do, and I sometimes don’t because you’re always doing it.

Q: Is there an explainable something, like a concept maybe, that you hope to convey in your work?
A: Humor is often the vehicle or even the entry point in some of my work. Something I’m trying to convey would probably be “play.”
I just link back to childhood, not having art directors, creative directors, clients and this need to serve someone, to appease someone, meet objectives. It’s this genuine – I don’t know if genuine is the right word because thats kind of hard to define, especially philosophically.
But, this need to make things, to interact with objects and our environment and space and connect with other people through these artifacts that are made.
So I guess that positivity, too, is another thing that is always present. And it’s this honest thing. It’s not this front. It’s not something I feel like people need in their lives and want to hear. It’s more of “this is what I’m about,” and that’s where it comes out.

Q: Art isn’t an easy business to break into. Do you have any words of wisdom for those of us who simply don’t want to do anything else with our lives but make stuff?
A: The easiest way to do that is make a ton of stuff and continue to make work. To be self-motivated and put it in front of people that matter.
Then, also, be very aware of other people that are doing things that interest you and why you’re interested in that. And also people who are doing things that are similar to you, and know how they’re approaching making/thinking about work.
And what sets you apart and what makes you the same. Self-awareness and being self-motivated are the two things you really gotta focus on. And, of course, don’t get hung up on something. If you have an idea, just make it!
As quickly as you can to get through that, ’cause you’re going to learn something through that experience … Also, I would advise anyone to get experience outside of undergrad, no matter what it is, before grad school.
Even if you’re doing something that doesn’t matter to you, it’s not in a creative field, in your spare time: do something. Negative experiences are especially revealing, and will help you quickly gravitate towards something you want to be doing. Reading: if you can read, if you know how to read and you like reading, you have a gift.
That’s where that self motivation comes in, too. The more stuff you see, the more stuff you experience.

For those who have ever been to one of the epic dance parties under the moniker “The Hooded Deer,” hosted by a collective but headed up by Will Bryant, you know these are more than just dance parties. It began as another outlet for him to create. When asked about The Hooded Deer”…
“What I’ve realized in grad school is that, that whole ‘Hooded Deer’ experience is more like art than anything I’ve ever done because I didn’t know it was art. The people that experienced it, that’s who ‘The Hooded Deer’ is. It’s not just me. I might’ve been this instigator and this driving force of making it happen, but it was about the people. And there have been people that kind of carried that kind of energy on,” he said.
Will’s current exhibition, RETROSPECTACLE, in the McComas gallery on campus, runs until Oct. 3.
Ranging from illustrations to sculptures, this exhibition is sure to give a better understanding of the art that is Will Bryant.
Chock-full of good vibes and fun messages, this show brings a welcomed energy back to MSU. As for Will, he’s in Portland, Ore., working on his MFA in the Studio Practice Program as well as teaching design classes at Portland State University.
It seems as if there is only more good feelin’s and creations to come from Will, whether it’s a dinner party at his South-away-from-the-South “branded” home, Dixieland Delight or another illustration your wall would be happy to hold.
Will Bryant via George Strait says it best, “I ain’t here for a long time, I’m here for a good time.”