The Avett Brothers’ new album, The Carpenter reviewed

Last November, the Avett Brothers fan base hit an all-time high at Mississippi State University. Students were swept away by the undeniable enthusiasm displayed by the band at Bulldog Bash 2011, and now the Avett Brothers have wowed fans once again with the release of the band’s seventh album, The Carpenter. The album’s single, “Live and Die,” hit iTunes back in July, and listeners have been craving more bluegrass-tinged folk-rock ever since.
The Carpenter does not fail to satisfy that craving. Whereas The Avett Brothers’ older albums have been more on the folk and acoustic side of the fence, The Carpenter presents a broader sound by introducing new instruments on every track.
Songs like “Pretty Girl from Michigan” and “Geraldine” are reminiscent of the zealous fraternal musicians fans all know and love; listeners can practically see Scott and Seth Avett screaming into the microphone and Joe Kwon shredding the strings of his cello bow at a live performance. However, other tracks have a heavier, more thematic feel (“Once and Future Carpenter,” “Paul Newman vs. The Demons”). These spiritual motifs are particularly powerful considering the personal circumstances of bassist Bob Crawford, whose two-year-old daughter is currently battling a brain tumor. And then there are tracks that are smack dab in the middle. Melancholic songs like “Winter in My Heart” are prevented from being unbearably gloomy by the light and floating melody.
Covering every bit of the musical spectrum, The Carpenter has all of the makings of a great album. There is a tidbit of old-school Avett for the true-blue fans, and there is a hint of variance for aficionados that might be hankering for something new and fresh. And a disclaimer for all you Avett veterans: we know you’ve been listening to the band since Country Was. The fact that The Avett Brothers have traded out their banjos for electric guitars on a couple of songs doesn’t mean that the band has sold out; it simply means that the band is moving in a different direction and should be respected for their flexibility as musicians.