Rivalry renewed in search of first SEC win

After an 0-2 start in conference play, the Mississippi State volleyball team is looking for its first win in conference play. This weekend, the team travels to Oxford, seeking that crucial first SEC win against rival Ole Miss.
The Bulldogs’ last win was two weeks ago in the Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic against Tulane. Since that victory, State has lost three matches, winning just two of its last 11 games in those matches. After losing to Georgia and Auburn last weekend, the Bulldogs find themselves in a tie for last place in the SEC West with LSU and Ole Miss.
This weekend’s game has more on the line than just a conference win. In-state bragging rights will also result from the match. Ole Miss is looking for its first conference win after losing to both new teams in the SEC, Missouri and Texas A&M, who are currently both undefeated in SEC play. Motivation will not be an issue for either side in this match.
The atmosphere at practice this week has been different from most other weeks. Freshman libero Roxanne McVey said this week’s practice has been intense in preparation for the Rebels.
“We are coming in with a new positive attitude so we can go up to Oxford and beat Ole Miss,” McVey said.
Although Ole Miss has the same conference record as State (0-2), having the game in Oxford may turn out to be an advantage for the Rebels. Not to mention Ole Miss is currently undefeated at home, winning all three of its matches in the school’s annual Magnolia Invitational. With the Rebels’ current winning ways at home, this could be extra motivation for State to win its match on Friday, as if they needed more reason to fight for the victory.
Last season, MSU won three matches on the road against SEC opponents. Ole Miss was one of those three teams. After beating Ole Miss in Oxford, the Bulldogs went on to win two out of their next three matches, including a win against Kentucky in Starkville, which became the first win over a ranked opponent in the program’s history.
This year, with a victory over Ole Miss, State would separate itself from last place in the division, while also placing the Rebels in the last place spot.
Sophomore defensive back Alex Scott said everyone on the team understands the importance of this game.
“We have to win. This is a big deal for all of us,” Scott said.
A win against Ole Miss would also be the first step in achieving something State has not done since 2009- sweeping the series against Ole Miss in a season. Last season, the Bulldogs came away with a victory in Oxford but were defeated three games to zero in when the Rebels came to Starkville.
The match tonight is no ordinary match. This is a battle for supremacy in Mississippi, a chance to win the first game of conference play against your rival and the gaining of momentum for the rest of the upcoming season.
For freshmen such as Scott and Alex Warren, the rivalry is a thrill they have yet to experience. However, even though this will be the first match  Warren will play against the Rebels, she said she still understands the importance of this match.
“This is personal. We have to win this, no questions asked,” Warren said.
The experience of upperclassmen Chanelle Baker and Paris Perret will be crucial for MSU. But aside from these two girls, only underclsssmen have seen much playing time this season.
Compare this to a Rebel squad that has either a junior or senior currently leading the team in kills, digs, assists and blocks.
Adversity is present, but the Bulldogs are not shying away from the opportunity at hand. Game time is set for tonight at 7 in Oxford.