Grad school preparation key for seniors

In today’s current economic environment, obtaining higher education is considered by many to be paramount for success. Undergraduates at MSU are encouraged to be aware of the preparation they need to take if graduate school is the next step in their continuing education.
The Graduate Record Examination is the exam that serves as the standard admission test for most graduate programs. Unlike the ACT or SAT, the GRE covers a larger range of material and is now offered in both a computer-based and paper-based format.
Peter Crank, senior broadcast meteorology major, said the first step any student considering graduate studies should take is to study for the GRE.
“Be sure to study and then take the GRE. Consider buying a test prep booklet as a study tool,” he said.
Barnes and Noble and the Campus Bookmart offer a wide range of GRE study booklets to students. There are also resources available to students online to prepare for the exam.
James Orr, director of the Student Honor Code Office, said that earning a graduate degree is a privilege.
“[Students] should work hard and be honest when completing their assignments and admission applications. Students have an obligation to gain skills that will allow them to be a positive impact on society,” he said.
The next step for current undergraduates to undertake is becoming involved in extracurricular activities. The MSU Career Center offers assistance to students seeking to draft a formal resume.
Orr said there are many different opportunities to add to your resume before applying to a graduate program.
“Students should seek to excel in the classroom, but also gain opportunities outside of the classroom that will allow them to apply what they are learning in their courses.  Joining a student organization, being part of the Student Association, writing for The Reflector, obtaining an internship or working on a research project with a professor will make a student very marketable when they apply for graduate school and jobs,” he said.
Mississippi State University offers a large variety of extracurricular activities to undergraduate students. The MSU Office of the Graduate School provides a wealth of resources for undergraduates considering taking the GRE and for those applying to graduate school.
Aressa Coley, graduate student and teaching assistant, said being in graduate school presents new challenges while simultaneously opening up a considerable amount of free time.
“The difficulty of graduate school comes with the level of independence students are expected to take on. My number one priority is my research; grades are second,” she said.
The Office of the Graduate School is located in Allen Hall room 116.