Service project stretches state

One Million Bones, which first came to Mississippi State on Oct. 10, is giving volunteers more opportunities to raise awareness about international humanitarian crises on Oct. 27 and Nov. 27.
The event is sponsored by MSU Service DAWGS and the Maroon Volunteer Center.  Volunteers who participate in the One Million Bones service project will make clay bones. Each bone will raise $1, and the money generated will be sent to areas in Central Africa and the Middle East suffering from ongoing crises.
Antoinette Jenkins, coordinator for the One Million Bones project in Mississippi, said the project is using a unique approach to raise awareness on important international concerns.
“This is a humanitarian society that is bringing awareness to humanitarian crises around the world,” she said. “We’re using the social arts to try to bring awareness to that.”
Jenkins also said the goal for the state of Mississippi is to generate 7,000 bones.
“All of the bones will be displayed on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. next year,” she said.
The non-profit project first came to MSU on Oct. 10. Volunteers rallied in South Hall and made bones from slabs of clay given to each person.
Kaylie Mitchell, freshman art major, expressed her enthusiasm for the event.
“I think it’s really interesting, the project for the Million Bones and displaying it in D.C.,” she said. “Even a small bone is raising awareness, raising money, raising funds. Any amount of funds going toward the lessening of crises is important.”
Adrienne Callander, art teacher at MSU, gave some of her students the opportunity to participate in One Million Bones in lieu of one class session this semester. Callander said she is happy to participate in the project.
“They’re doing something that is political in this horribly heated political moment that we’re going through nationally with the election,” she said. “It’s a pacifist gesture. It’s not about a Republican or Democratic party, and yet it’s still a political action to bring awareness to people that are suffering.”
Jenkins said she will gladly accept any bones volunteers make outside of the projects.
“People can be continuously making bones throughout the semester,” she said. “They can bring them in to me. The only thing that I ask is that they’re made out of clay, and no human or animal bones. I would be happy to collect those. They can leave them for me at South Hall.”
Jenkins also said free refreshments will be provided at the two remaining sessions.
The next opportunity to volunteer for One Million Bones is Oct. 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the South Hall fourth floor conference room.
The final project will be Nov. 27 from 7-10 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union Ballroom, Section U.