MSU Staff Council considers changes to tobacco policy

Mississippi State University’s Staff Council was presented a proposition earlier this month to revise the current tobacco policy on campus.
Bill Kibler, vice president of Student Affairs, has proposed a revised policy that would allow tobacco use in designated areas around campus.
The policy would make MSU 100 percent tobacco-free beginning fall 2014.
Kibler said the proposed revision would provide a small increase in restriction, but not enough to be noticed at first.
“We want to provide the campus community a period of transition rather than abruptly prohibiting smoking,” Kibler said. “The main thing is getting everyone on board by communicating with them about the fact that campus will be tobacco-free in 2014.”
The current MSU tobacco policy on campus requires tobacco users to stand 25 feet from anything that would have the likelihood of allowing secondhand smoke. Kibler’s proposed revision would designate areas located 25 feet from each building, primarily at each entrance.
Kibler said when the campus goes tobacco-free in 2014, all forms of tobacco will be prohibited.
“If someone wants to smoke a cigarette on campus, the only exception would be if they smoked in their own personal vehicle,” Kibler said.
Kibler said he knows there will be tobacco users that will be upset with this revision.
“Not everybody is going to agree with this,” Kibler said. “No matter what we do, how we do it, or when we do it, you’re not going to have everyone agree with it.”
Robert McMillen, project director of the National Social Climate Survey of Tobacco Control, said even though people may not agree with this proposal, there are benefits of a tobacco-free campus.
“Numerous research studies demonstrate that tobacco-free environments lead to substantial reductions in the number of people who smoke, the amount of tobacco products consumed, and the number of people exposed to tobacco hazards,” McMillen said.
 A recent study published in the online journal Preventive Medicine compared students at Indiana and Purdue University after Indiana implemented a tobacco-free campus. The study found that a tobacco-free campus policy changed social norms and reduced tobacco use among college students.
“A 100 percent tobacco-free campus is the best option for the health and quality of life of the students, faculty, staff and visitor’s to MSU’s campus,” McMillen said. “The current policy only provides protection from tobacco smoke near buildings and does not reduce exposure, eliminate toxic litter, improve air quality or influence social norms for the majority of the campus area.”
Kibler said he believes this revision will send a strong message showing MSU’s continuing commitment to health and wellness on campus.
This ongoing effort to increase health and wellness is something other schools have been doing across the country.
“There are over 700 colleges and universities across the nation that are 100 percent tobacco free,” Kibler said.
Southeastern Conference universities that have implemented tobacco-free campuses include Kentucky, Arkansas, Florida and Ole Miss. 
McMillen said he believes that as with all policies, education is the first step in enforcement and implementation.
“One of our goals is to make sure that MSU students, employees and visitors are all aware of the policies,” McMillen said. “Creating an atmosphere where everyone is responsible for the betterment of their school is key to implementing and then enforcing the tobacco-free ban.”