Redecorating dorm rooms gives extra space

Students on campus may be getting to the phase where they are looking for a change within their living arrangements. For the approximately 4,500 students on campus, options for decorating are more limited than those off campus, but both groups can do several things to make a room appear brand new without spending a lot of money.
Ann Bailey, the director of housing, said she believes Pinterest is a great place to start looking for new ideas.
“From what I have seen from Pinterest, everything old is new again,” Bailey said. “You can do a lot of creative things with old items.”
From an old trunk to store clothes and bedding, to the plastic tubs one can buy at Walmart, there are plenty of decorating ideas that double as storage.
Libby Durst, sophomore agricultural information sciences major, said a good idea is to purchase multi-purpose items.
“I have a storage container from Walmart that also functions as a chair or footstool,” Durst said. “I also have an over the bed shelf that makes use of the limited space we have. Since it’s above my bed, it doesn’t take up any extra space, and it’s where I put my books and decorations.”
Durst also said using the wall space to make your room more personal is important.
“Kirkland’s usually has pretty good deals on their decorations like mirrors and picture frames that are cute. Posters are also an easy way to add a personal touch,” Durst said.
Abigail Wellman, freshman marketing major, said students should utilize all of the space given to them when storing items in a dorm room.
“I lofted my bed and put my dresser underneath it. Then, I added an extra set of drawers from Walmart,” Wellman said.”In my closet, the ceiling’s really high so you can stack boxes up there. And on my nightstand I put different baskets and boxes for decoration and storage.”
Ria Bennett, freshman architecture major, may have the cheapest way to redecorate, though.
“Just mix up the furniture,” Bennett said. “Or switch sides with your roommate to give the room a different feel.”