MSU to open 2013 season against Oklahoma State

Mississippi State will open its 2013 football season against Oklahoma State at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas for the Texas Kick Off Classic.
The Aug. 31 game will be State’s first visit to Reliant Stadium. The Bulldogs have faced Oklahoma State four times previously, with a 2-2 record. State won the most recent matchup 29-11 in 1999 in Starkville.
MSU’s athletic director Scott Stricklin said the game provides State fans a unique destination for the season opener.
“This is a great opportunity for our team to open the 2013 season in an NFL stadium,” Stricklin said in a press release. “We have a great fan base in Texas, as well, who will be excited to see the Bulldogs play in their home state.”
In a press release, Houston Texans and Lone Star Sports & Entertainment President Jamey Rootes said his organization is committed to growing the game of football at all levels and do great things for Houston.
“This game and this Labor Day series concept is another way for us to simultaneously do both,” Rootes said. “Along with our Board and ESPN, we’ve built the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas into one of the best-attended bowls in America, and hosting these two outstanding football programs at Reliant Stadium will serve as a tremendous bookend for the 2013 college football season in Houston.”
Sr. vice president and general manager of ESPN Regional Television Pete Derzis said ESPN is looking forward to the Texas Kick Off Classic.
“We are excited to work with the Texans and Lone Star Sports and Entertainment to bring a Labor Day weekend football game to the city of Houston,” Derzis said in a press release. “A game of this caliber serves as a great complement to our postseason college football bowl game played at Reliant Stadium.”
Stricklin assured fans State will still have seven home games in 2013.
MSU was allotted 10,500 tickets, 9,700 of which are along the sideline. Tickets are available to be purchased at MSU’s ticket office, by phone at 888-GO-DAWGS or online at HailState.com. Prices range from $45 to $125.