Students prep for academic crunch time

As the academic semester comes to a close, many Mississippi State University students are making a last-minute effort to bring up their grades.
John Forde, head of the Department of Communication, said students hoping to improve their grades now need to take advantage of the provided course material such as textbooks, study guides and study sessions with classmates.
“If there is extra credit, students need to be sure that they do it because sometimes that makes a difference,” Forde said. “It might only be a little bit of difference, but that could be the difference between (passing and failing).”
Forde said he would advise students against a few things such as asking teachers for extra credit opportunities which are not available to everyone.
“It’s irritating when the students come up, say, the last day of class or as they’re turning in the final and ask if there’s anything else they can do,” Forde said. “There’s really not at that point. You need to really focus on what you can do and focus on it now. Don’t wait.”
Ashley Sullivan, junior accounting major on MSU’s President’s List, said her advice to students is to study in advance.
“Even a little here and there helps when the stress of studying for finals starts to kick in,” Sullivan said.
Forde also said students still have time to improve grades before the semester ends, but he would warn students against waiting much longer to bring up their GPAs.
“You still have another month or so of class, but if you wait until the last week, then it’s too late,” Forde said. “Be sure and talk to the teacher and see what advice the teacher would have. There might be some tutoring from other people, graduate students or other students.”
One option for students who are looking for a tutor is The Learning Center on campus. Located in Allen Hall, The Learning Center offers students free tutoring, a variety of courses, and full use of a computer lab.
Dana Smith, junior biochemistry major, works with The Learning Center. Smith tutors students enrolled in biology I, biology II and cell biology.
Smith said during her time at The Learning Center, she has found many college students are not practicing good study habits. She said she believes this could be a factor in the students’ grades being lower than expected.
“A lot of times I end up talking to the students and telling them how to study,” Smith said. “There are so many students who come into college not knowing how to properly study, and I hope that through tutoring they not only leave knowing the material better, but they are equipped to better study and excel in the course.”
Smith said she regards helping fellow students as a privilege.
“The Learning Center has been such a great place to work as it gives me the opportunity to give back to students who are struggling, helps me stay knowledgeable in the given courses and continually allows me to meet new people who all share a common goal: academic excellence,” Smith said.