Marriage should be based on love, no matter what sexuality

Yes, I know the election is over and as Hilary Duff would say, “so yesterday,” but there is something that’s been tucked beneath all the headlines and pictures of a smiling Obama (who, by the way, has a really good dentist).

Let me bring the news to your attention: Maine, Maryland and Wisconsin have all joined the same-sex marriage train. Can I get a “choo choo” up in here? 
You can now get gay-hitched in nine states. I’m on cloud nine (yeah, I went there).  The three states new to the same-sex marriage union were added through ballot votes. Minnesota citizens voted against an icky constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage. Citizens made the decision for the first time in history regarding same-sex marriage. It was their pens on the ballots, not the state’s “moral” law.
But wait! There’s more, of course! Tammy Baldwin, a fierce lesbian, was elected into the United States Senate on Tuesday, making her the first openly gay senator. This is huge. Almost more huge than Baldwin’s purchases of three-piece suits. After her victory, Baldwin gave a speech detailing what she had in store for America.
“Now, I am well aware that I will have the honor of being Wisconsin’s first woman senator. And I am well aware that I will be the first openly gay member. But I didn’t run to make history. I ran to make a difference,” she said.
Baldwin exemplifies exactly what we need in America: a difference. She stands there loud and proud like a Lady Gaga concert as a figure of hope, and to me, when people have hope, they are more likely to make a difference.
Each day, gay rights seem more tangible for the LGBTQ community. By now, you have probably assumed I’m a stickler for everyone having equal rights because, you know, we are all humans. It’s true, y’all. I want everyone to have the right to get married and share the same benefits a “traditional” marriage has.
I hope this soapbox is stable because I’m chubby, and I don’t want it to break while I’m about to step up on it.
Everyone has his or her own definition of marriage, but through hate, we lose sight of the most important element of that sacred bond: love. We take it for granted. Treat it like a bag of dirt. We take it away from people and say, “You can’t have this right,” while maniacally laughing. 
No matter what you believe in, we all share one thing in common: we want to be loved. We want to hold hands with a husband or wife. We want to wake up to someone smiling back at us. We want to grow old with someone and sit in rockers on the front porch. We crave love. We want to wrap ourselves in love and never lose that feeling.
So, I ask: wrap yourself in love. And once you feel true love that eventually leads to marriage, imagine what it must be like for someone to tell you that you can’t legally attach yourself to someone. It wouldn’t feel too lovely, would it?