Eli Young Band to headline Bulldog Bash

Country music band, Eli Young Band is set to headline this year’s Bulldog Bash.
The Eli Young Band is a nationally renowned country-recording artist from Denton, Texas. The band members formed when they were in college and have been recording and playing music together ever since. Mike Eli, lead singer and guitarist, said when they met they all had an interest in music but were unsure where it would take them.
“We all had individual interests in playing music and pursuing it,” he said. “I don’t know how much we knew we would pursue it as our future, but when we met each other in college it just made sense.” 
As for the band’s music, he said their own lives are the inspiration behind the songs.
“Our music tends to be a reflection of where we are in our lives,” he said.
The band won an Academy of Country Music award in 2011 for its single “Crazy Girl,” a moment he describes as being surreal and a lifetime in the making. 
“It was an unbelievable experience to actually be in a moment you have dreamed of your whole life is completely surreal,” he said. “You think back through all of the hard work and moments leading you to that day, and it takes you back through the journey – it’s amazing.”
The band might be expanding its trophy case. It was nominated for Vocal Group of the Year at last night’s Country Music Association awards. The winner of this award had not been announced at the time of print. The band also performed for a sold out crowd at the awards. He said the band was nervous and excited about playing in last night’s show.
“We are excited,” he said. “It’s a bit nerve-wracking to be performing in front of our peers, all these artists we respect.”
He said it would be much more relaxing to play for everyone at Bulldog Bash Friday and the band members are excited to play the outdoor concert. 
“We’re looking forward to everyone coming out, and the energy of a show setting like that is something you can feel when you’re on stage,” he said.
Bulldog Bash co-director Sara Vance said the Student Association has been working hard since April to plan this year’s bash and she cannot wait to see Eli Young Band tonight.
The original lineup was shaken up a few weeks ago when SA announced original headliner Neon Trees had canceled its fall tour. She said the cancellation was very unexpected.
“You kind of get thrown into a situation of what is available to us and we worked with our talent agencies right away doing the best we could to get someone of quality on such short notice,” she said. “We were really happy to see Eli Young Band as one of our options, and we went after them right away.”
Despite the setback of the Neon Trees cancellation, she said she is very happy about the Eli Young Band and said it should be a fun time for all.
“We were so thrilled about Eli Young Band, and we think it is going to be a great concert,” she said. “They have a great sound and are a really well-known group.”
Junior kinesiology major Caroline Brannon said she was excited Eli Young Band is the replacement. She said she would be on the very front row.
“When I found out Neon Trees couldn’t come anymore, the first replacement band I thought of was Eli Young Band,” she said. “When I saw a tweet saying they were coming I died.”
Katie Ruth Robertson, senior communication major, said she is also enthusiastic about the show.
“They are excellent, well-known country musicians, and I am so ready to see them at Bulldog Bash,” she said. “I was really impressed the Student Association was able to get someone like them on such short notice.”
Vance said she has received a great response to the new headliner and is looking forward to tonight.
“We’ve had such a positive feedback from the student body, especially considering our late headliner change,” she said. “People seem really excited, and Bulldog Bash is an event that just continues to build each year.”
Eli said everyone attending the concert Friday is sure to have an awesome time.
“We’re ready for a big show and are excited to be coming to Starkville and Mississippi State University,” he said.
The Eli Young Band will hit the stage at approximately 9:45 p.m. after opening acts Surviving Allison, Gloriana and Andy Grammer perform. The stage is in the same location as last year, stretching in between Sweet Pepper’s Deli and Chuck’s BP on University Drive. It will face toward downtown Starkville. To learn more about Eli Young Band or discover its music, visit eliyoungband.com.