Recent Review: ‘The Phantom Menace’

Remember Volkswagen’s 2011 Super Bowl ad with the little boy dressed up like Darth Vader? Well, I did that when I was a little girl. Star Wars was the only thing in the universe (ours and ones far, far away) that held my attention when I was two. I have never stopped loving the franchise, and, this past fall, my sorority big sister gave me a light saber. It was awesome.
In a galaxy not so very far way, “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” was rereleased in movie theaters in 3-D format on Feb. 10. Originally debuted in 1999, “The Phantom Menace” is the first installment of the Star Wars saga to be converted to 3-D technology. The second episode “Attack of the Clones’ 3-D” release date is set for February 2013.
Being the huge Star Wars nerd that I am, I saw “The Phantom Menace” during its 3-D opening weekend. Waiting in line in the theater lobby, I could barely contain my excitement to relive the first episode in a movie theater. I was not disappointed. My pulse quickened when the famous theme song started playing and the opening roll up began to fill the screen.
During the 136-minute spectacle, all the imagination, innovation and pure splendor that Star Wars is known for was displayed beautifully in 3-D. The picture was clearer and brighter, and the digital format allowed for more visual depth. The elaborate scenes and the funky creatures were brilliant. Especially in the underwater Gungan nation, Jar Jar Binks’s homeland and, of course, in the intense space fights the digital enhancement was very evident.
“The Phantom Menace” is chronologically the first chapter of the six-episode story. It is frequently confused as the fourth installment because the final three chronological episodes were released from 1977 to 1983 with the legendary Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and the infamous and universally terrifying Darth Vader (James Earl Jones).
Based in an alternate universe, “The Phantom Menace” chronicles the struggle for all that is good and just with the characters of Jedi Knights Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) who seek to regain peace between the Galactic Republic and the Trade Federation on the planet of Naboo. After meeting the loveable Jar Jar Binks (Ahmed Best) and rescuing the fearless Queen Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), the party escapes on the clutch of the Trade Federation’s invasion of Amidala’s kingdom. Due to mechanical difficulties, the Jedi ship stops at the outer rim planet of Tatooine where they meet the young and capable Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd). Upon their departure from the dusty planet, Jinn meets Darth Maul (Ray Park), the Sith Lord’s apprentice. In their inter-galactic travels, Jinn, Kenobi, Skywalker and Amidala encounter evil in their pursuit for the justice for the planet of Naboo and the Galactic Republic as a whole.
The 3-D format transfer enhanced the overall viewing experience. Because of the better visual and sound quality, it felt as if I was watching the episode for the very first time. The plot is still relevant to the audience, and the emotions are still very real. Because of the timelessness of the saga, hopefully more people will discover the awesomeness of the characters and their struggles and victories. Also, perhaps a new generation of Star Wars geeks will emerge.
No matter where “The Phantom Menace” is shown, it is truly a masterpiece, but it is especially breathtaking in 3-D. For fans or newbies, the movie is impressive and entertaining and, in my opinion, is a sure-fire path to obsession. And, by the way, Darth Maul is still just as terrifying, if not more so, in 3-D.