SA hosts campus-wide garage sale at Davis Wade

The third-annual Dawghouse Deals event will be held on May 5 from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Davis Wade Stadium.
Dawghouse Deals is a large garage sale held by the Student Association Environmental Affairs committee. The committee places storage boxes around campus where students moving out of the dorms or just cleaning out their places of residence can donate their used goods.
Halston Hales, former SA vice president, helped plan this event three years ago after he saw a need on campus. 
“The ultimate goal of this sale is to reduce waste,” he said. “The amount of stuff thrown away from these dorms is frustrating when you know other people could benefit.”
Hales said they wanted to use this sale as a way to reduce waste on campus and benefit the students.
“All the proceeds of Dawghouse Deals go directly to the Mississippi State University Student Relief Fund, which is distributed by the Dean of Students’ Office,” he said.
Hales said the fund provides aid to students who have been affected by disaster and need assistance. In its first year, the fund donated money to the students affected by apartment fires. Students may receive money, books or other items they are in need of from the fund. Last year, the money went to the victims of the Alabama tornadoes.
Hales said the event was modeled after the University of Notre Dame’s Old 2 Gold sale, which raises around $20,000 each year and has hundreds of people volunteer. He said he wants Dawghouse Deals to have success like that in the future.
Hayden Nix, director of the environmental affairs committee, said the sale has been growing each year and there has definitely been an increase in sales since Hales helped start the event three years ago. The committee said it is really hoping to ramp it up and get more attendance this year.
“Our ultimate goal is instead of having to pick furniture up, we want to have so many donations an 18-wheeler has to pick everything up,” he said.
Linn Sekkenes, former director of environmental affairs, had a hand in planning the event both this year and last year. She said starting next week, students can drop off anything from non-perishable food items to used furniture.  
“People can expect just about anything,” she said. “Last year one of the fraternities was redoing their house so we got all of their couches and other furniture.”
She said typically nothing at the sale is priced over $50.
“Mattresses usually sell for around $10, couches go for around $50 and clothes for about a dollar or two,” she said.
She said this is a really cheap way for students who are moving to stock up on what they need.
Both Nix and Sekkenes encouraged everyone to get to the sale very early.
“We showed up at around 6 a.m. last year and there were already cars parked across the street waiting for us to unlock the gate,” Nix said.
Sekkenes said almost everything sells within the first couple of hours. If any goods do not sell, the Palmer Home picks it up so nothing is wasted.
Everyone in the community and on campus is invited to donate goods and attend the sale on May 5. The sale will take place in the east concourse of Davis Wade Stadium next to the student entrance.
 Nix said storage boxes will be located on campus behind Cresswell Hall and Hathorn Hall, in between Rice Hall and South Hall, on the one-way street in front of Building 3, behind Ruby Hall and on Fraternity Row.
Directions and donation times will be posted on the storage boxes. May 4 will be the last day to donate items. Larger-sized furniture will be picked up as long as it is on university property. For more information or to donate, contact Hayden Nix at [email protected].