Reveille revival still uncertain

The Reveille, Mississippi State University’s yearbook, is in jeopardy of not going to print if more students do not purchase a copy by the Friday deadline.
Rhett Hobart, Student Association president, said as of Monday, 803 books had been sold. The Reveille staff must sell at least 197 more copies in order to go to print.
“Our minimum order is 1,000, so we have to sell 1,000 copies,” he said. “The deadline we have is Friday, so we need to sell the remaining copies by March 10.”
Ashlee Bennett, editor of The Reveille and senior graphic design major, said the staff has spent a lot of time volunteering to put the yearbook together.
“It was kind of a struggle to get it to come back this year, and, if we don’t reach the goal by then, it won’t be coming back,” she said.
Bennett alluded to the rivalry with Ole Miss to encourage students to purchase a copy.
“One thing is that Ole Miss has a yearbook that is nationally recognized, and, if we don’t bring it back, that’s one thing they’ll have that we don’t,” she said.
Hobart said this year’s edition is unique because it has a rewind section that will include pictures of major events since the last Reveille was published in 2008. 
“The Reveille is one of our most historic pieces of our tradition, and it’s something that if you go into the offices and homes of alumni you can see it (on their shelves),” he said.
Hobart said he was confident in the future of The Reveille.
“Just looking at the support we’ve seen so far … that’s what has really pushed us to bring it back,” he said. “It’ll only grow and get larger each year.”
Jen Nguyen, co-editor of The Reveille and freshman communication major, said she believes owning a copy of the yearbook is important for college students to document their memories of their time spent at MSU.
“A yearbook is a history book,” she said. “Our memories will deteriorate. We may forget names and faces, but, with the yearbook, you can look at all those things, and you are reminded of what happened.”
Nguyen said there would be a table set up with a laptop in Colvard Student Union all week for students to purchase a copy. Otherwise, students can log on to their myState account and click the link in the upper right hand corner. She said she encourages everyone to go buy a copy so The Reveille tradition can continue in the future.
“I don’t think people our age understand how important it’s going to be to us years from now,” she said.