Suspect arrested by MSU PD in connection with campus shooting

A suspect has been arrested and charged with capital murder in connection with the homicide of a first semester transfer student that was shot multiple times on Mississippi State University’s campus.

Mason Perry Jones, 21, of Jackson, was arrested in DeSoto County Monday and is one of the three suspects in Saturday’s shooting, MSU Police Chief Georgia Lindley said in a news release.

Jones was arrested on Sunday night by the U.S. Marshal’s Office in Memphis on a February warrant from the Jackson Police Department for armed robbery. Jones was on a bus headed northbound from Jackson, headed toward an unknown destination, supervisory inspector of the U.S. Marshal Service Richard Griffin said. He said they gained knowledge that the bus would be in Memphis around 7 p.m. on Sunday night. Jones was taken into custody at a bus stop in Memphis.

John Sanderson, 21, of Madison was fatally shot multiple times Saturday night on the first floor Evans Hall. He was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center where the doctors worked with him for around 40 minutes before he was pronounced dead at 11:03 p.m., Bill Kibler, vice president of student affairs, said.

Oktibbeha County coroner Michael Hunt has ruled the death a homicide. Preliminary results were expected around 4 p.m. on Monday but had not yet received by Hunt at that time.

Lindley the investigation is ongoing.