The Hunger Games

Based on the novel of the same name by Suzanne Collins, “The Hunger Games” movie has become one of the most anticipated of this year. In the past few days, the response from critics about the film has been overwhelmingly positive С even earning a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was noted that while the movie strays from the book in a few small ways, superfans will be pleased with the translation from book to screen. Details from the novels, including Katniss’s braid, Cinna’s eyeliner and Effie’s colored wigs, are present throughout. Film critic Christy Lemire of the Associated Press praises the film:
“‘The Hunger Games’ runs nearly two and a half hours in length but is the rare film that never drags and doesn’t overstay its welcome. It could keep running as long as Katniss does, and we’d want to be right there every heart-pounding step of the way.”
Set in a crumbled North America in the not-too-distant future, the harshly ruling Capitol frightens and warns the 12 districts of Panem by forcing them to participate in the Hunger Games. By lottery, the Capitol chooses one girl and boy from each district to fight in the game of survival, which ends when only one “tribute” is left. In the country plagued by famine, drought, fire and war, the games serve as a reminder that the Capitol can and will destroy any district that rises against the strict, selfish government.  When Katniss Everdeen’s younger sister Prim is called as tribute, Katniss volunteers to take her place. A fierce, self-sufficient hard-working 16-year-old girl, Katniss hunts to keep her family alive. Her determination to keep her family safe fuels her to be a serious competitor in the games with her partner tribute, Peeta Mellark. As they defend their lives and take out the competition, their strategies change and evolve into something neither of them imagined and the Capitol most fears.