Feminist pedagogy panel enlightens MSU

A feminist pedagogy panel was held in the John Grisham building on the third floor of the library Thursday. The panel consisted of open discussion with Ashley Baker, Kay Brocato and Emily Ryalls.

The panel brought awareness to some of the staff members at Mississippi State University, and it was a wonderful way for people to voice their different opinions and gain a better understanding of the term “feminism.” Ashley Baker, introduction to gender studies professor, was one of three speakers at the panel. Each faculty member enjoyed hearing what she had to say regarding feminism and the way she catches the attention of her students.

“I think the panel went great,” she said. “There was a nice turn-out, and both the panel and the audience had wonderful ideas on being great educators.”

Baker said her personal definition of feminism means to recognize the power in our society and fighting for equality for both men and women, and she considers herself to be a feminist.

Emily Ryalls, dual gender studies and communication professor, was the mastermind behind the panel. She said she very much  enjoyed speaking with the public and hearing what everyone has to say about modern society and the way people view feminism.

“I enjoy being in a room full of smart people and hearing what they have to say and how they teach their students, and yes, I do consider myself a feminist,” she said.

According to both Baker and Ryalls, feminist pedagogy enables students to see how larger social problems relate to their everyday life.

Kay Brocato, who teaches a course titled, ‘Planning for the Diversity of Learners,’ said she was honored to speak with both Ryalls and Baker during the panel.

“By attending this discussion, I gained a real validation that so many people across this campus are interested in challenging injustice and challenging things that can be oppressive without even realizing,” she said.

Brocato said she never considered herself a feminist until she came in contact with Baker. Baker made her realize she was a feminist who enjoyed bringing equality to all people. As a mother of two, Brocato says she does not take the term lightly.