Craven takes over WMSV

Anthony+Craven
Jacob Follin | The Reflector
Anthony Craven

Anthony Craven was named the new general manager of WMSV, the radio station serving the Mississippi State University campus. Craven received the position after long time general manager Steve Ellis, who had been the general manager from WMSV’s start, retired earlier this year.
    Sid Salter, Mississippi State University’s director of Public Affairs, had many positive remarks about the new manager. 
    “Steve Ellis left a major legacy after his long time serving at WMSV. I wish him well in his retirement. Anthony Craven has had the benefit of serving and training under Steve,”  Salter said. “Anthony takes pride in his work and understands the radio industry.” 
     Craven appears to be destined for his new position that helps serve this community with unique music and valuable local news on a daily basis. WMSV has been serving Mississippi State University and the Golden Triangle community since 1994.
     Craven is not a new face around the campus. He worked at WMSV when he was just a student himself here at MSU. After graduation, he worked for ESPN radio in Jackson, Mississippi, but came back to Starkville to host at the station with Steve Ellis. Craven was Steve Ellis’ second in command helping manage local news and public affairs for the station from 2007 until Ellis’ recent retirement.
      Craven said everything he learned from Ellis is valuable. “Steve was showing me all the time what it took. He was not just teaching me. He was being an example to go by. I owe him a great deal,” he said. 

Salter is confident that Craven can take WMSV to the next level. The next level will still include the great music already enjoyed on 91.1 FM.
    Craven said, “The station will have more of a presence this year. More live promoting. We will be out on the Drill Field reporting some. We will have a booth and we will meet people. We hopefully will have more people learn about and appreciate our station.”
      New students are all over campus this fall which means more people will be exposed to WMSV. WMSV and its staff hope to connect not with just new students, but with every student, faculty and staff. Craven wants to enhance what is already happening at the station. Any changes that take effect will not affect the music WMSV’s followers have enjoyed these past years.
     Craven said his goal for the station is simple. “It is to provide the Golden Triangle and Mississippi State was a good mix of news, public affairs and music that can’t be found anywhere else,” Craven said. “We want to keep the information we share to be about the local community. We want to educate our listeners.”