MSU offers array of events, activities for new students

As a new year begins on Mississippi State University’s campus, a new wave of students, organizations and events come along with it. 

There  are many options for students to get involved on campus as well as throughout the city of Starkville. Several events are geared towards new students so that they are presented with all possible opportunities.

One such event is Shades of Starkville, scheduled for Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Drill Field. 

Shades of Starkville is an event put on by the Center for Student Activities. According to Deidre Edwards, the center’s coordinator, the event will host local businesses and on-campus organizations. Businesses will range from restaurants and salons to local stores. Each of these businesses offer something different to the city of Starkville.

Edwards said this event will be beneficial for new students because it will help busy students become exposed to businesses and organizations in an easy way. They will all be in the same area at the same time, making it much more convenient for students.

“Having all of these businesses and organizations in one location at one time makes it much easier for students to meet, visit with and gather information or even free samples from the local area businesses so they can see what options are available to them,” Edwards said.

According to Edwards, the Center for Student Activities’ goal is to help students “Find Their One.” Edwards said that a good way to discover events and organizations is by visiting www.one.msstate.edu or by checking on OrgSync to see the calendar of events.

“Almost every day there is a different event taking place hosted by a different organization and each one presents a wonderful opportunity to get involved and meet new people while at MSU,” Edwards said.

The Student Association, National Advancement for the Advancement of Colored People and Black Student Association are also offering an event for students. They are calling it “SA Dawg Daze: Bulldog Bubble Brawl.” This is a soccer tournament being held from 4-7 p.m. tonight in The Junction. Students can bring a team of six, join a random team or just support others. 

Another event directed by SA is “The Drill,” being held from 5 to 6 p.m. Monday on The Drill Field. This is an annual pep rally held to welcome students back to MSU. 

According to Brooke Laizer,  history and traditions director, the event will host President Mark E. Keenum, Mayor Parker Wiseman, Men’s Head Basketball Coach Ben Howland, The Famous Maroon Band, Bully, Cheerleaders, Pom Squad, ROTC Colorguard Detail members and Miss MSU Randi Kathryn Harmon.

“New and returning students should attend The Drill for much more than a free tee and MAFES Mississippi State University Individual Ice Cream cup,” Laizer said.

Laizer also believes it is important to get involved on campus. She said there are many organizations to join ranging from Class Council positions to becoming involved in church communities. 

“Those who ring true must make note: involvement is key,” Lazier said.

An event specifically for freshmen is the reFresh Bible study. It is held from 7 to 8 p.m.  every Thursday night in Wesley, located next to Campus Book Mart. This event incorporates both worship and offers the opportunity to meet other new students.

For students interested in a new organization that recognizes diversity across campus, there is an interest meeting at 5 p.m. on Wednesday in McCool 116. The Latino Student Association is currently working to become a recognized organization that helps represent the Latino population on MSU’s campus. 

Daisy Edwards, founder and senior international business major, said the interest for such a club has been strong.

“I am interested in establishing the Latino Student Association alongside the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center to promote diversity and celebrate Latino culture on our campus,” Edwards said.

Edwards said she feels the best way to become involved at MSU is to find others with interests similar to yours. 

“If you don’t find anything that interests you, start an organization on your own,” Edwards said. “And if you don’t want to start something on your own, then go try something new.”