Honors College hosts ‘Clouds’

Mississippi State University’s Honors College presents the play “Clouds” at 6  p.m. tonight and Wednesday in Zacharias Village.

The  play is the main event in association with the Honors College’s “Classical Week 2015.” This week celebrates aspects of Greek, Roman and many other ancient cultures. “Clouds” is a comedy written by Aristophanes and is free for all who attend.

Donna L. Clevinger, the play’s director, said this play is performed during Classical Week because it shows how works from ancient times still have a bearing on our society today. She said this is the third year they have done an outdoor production during the Honors College’s Classical Week. The play will be performed in the courtyard between Griffis and North Hall. 

“People can bring dinner, a blanket or chairs and spread out on the beautiful courtyard,” Clevinger said.

She said the cast is made up entirely of freshmen honor students. There will also be pre-show music at 5:30 p.m. performed by other honor students. Free food will be provided tonight accompanied by jugglers and stilt walkers. In the case of rain, the play will be performed inside Griffis Hall. 

Clevinger said the production of “Clouds” was made possible due to the help of her honors Introduction to Theatre class as well as the help of dramaturgs Salvador Bartera and Albert Bisson. 

Clevinger said the community       pulled together to help make this play successful. Vowell’s Marketplace and Matt Seawright, the Starkville Crossing Manager at Cadence Bank, helped her secure necessary items for the play. “We worked with a variety of areas on campus that you don’t normally turn to,” Clevinger said.  

Clevinger said she was also able to bring Isaac Gardner, a member of the Blue Man Group, to speak with her class about theatre and performance. Gardner said he started in these types of performances and enjoyed that plays could be shared with people who normally would not see them.

“Theatre is one of the oldest forms of art and it’s never going to change,” Gardner said. “It is a living, breathing experience like no other.”

Clevinger said “Clouds” will run no longer than an hour and 15 minutes. She said it is sure to offer several humorous moments for the audience. She also said she’s grateful for the cooperation of both the campus and Starkville’s community.