Mississippi State tradition requires responsible ringing

Jacob Follin | The Relector

The cowbell is one of the most unique symbols of Mississippi State University. It has been a part of the MSU family and tradition since the early 1900s. To this day, nobody knows exactly how the boisterous instruments came into play, but everyone knows they have never left.

Many people have tried to ban them permanently, and some places will not even allow them. But one thing is for sure, the diehard Maroon & White fans continue to ring their cowbell with pride. 

Last night’s memorable Cowbell Yell and Saturday’s football game against Louisiana State University will leave the echoes of cowbells ringing in students’ ears, but it is important for MSU students to keep cowbell etiquette in mind. 

While cowbells are a fun way to cheer on our team, they can also be distracting. Even though they are tradition, cowbells are also a privilege— a privilege that can be taken away if they are being used in an obnoxious or disrespectful matter.

Hailstate.com published a statement by Scott Stricklin, MSU director of athletics, in 2014 about the improper use of cowbells.

“Why anyone who professes love for this university would ring their cowbell when they’ve been told not to do so is beyond me. It’s selfish and disrespectful, two things Mississippi State does NOT represent. When you ring at times not allowed, you are telling Mark Keenum, Dan Mullen, myself (Stricklin) and thousands of Bulldogs who have worked hard to legitimize this great tradition at our games that you don’t appreciate their efforts, and that you’re willing to risk having cowbells removed from Davis Wade Stadium altogether in the future.”

There is a place and time for everything. Sometimes, with all of the excitement and anxiety from the football games, fans forget that they are still representing the faculty, the staff, the football team and the rest of the Hail State family.

Laurenzo Pate, junior communications major, said he cannot wait for the events of the weekend, and he has his cowbell in place to ring out against LSU.

“I really enjoy cowbells simply because they have always been a Mississippi State tradition. They really do show everyone how much we love our school, because almost every student has them,” Pate said. “Some people do tend to get out of hands at times though. I think people sometimes forget that we are still at a school function, and we still have to respect others who are trying to hear everything going on with the game.”

So, if you are heading over to the Davis Wade Stadium Saturday night, do not forget your weapon— better known as the cowbell—but remember, always ring responsibly.