‘We Are Your Friends’ releases with mixed reviews: A feel-good drama

The feel-good drama “We Are Your Friends” which stars Zac Efron, Wes Bentley and Emily Ratajkowski, premiered in theaters Friday, Aug. 28.

“We Are Your Friends” is directed and co-written by Max Joseph, who is best known for his role in the TV show, “Catfish.” The movie is rated R for language, drug use, sexual content and nudity.

The movie tells the story of 23-year-old Cole Carter (Efron), an aspiring DJ living in the San Fernando Valley and his drug-dealing friends. After meeting famous DJ James Reed (Bentley), Cole seems to finally be on the path to success. However, a romantic relationship with James’s assistant and girlfriend Sophie (Ratajkowski) complicates his successful future as a DJ.

USA Today said “We Are Your Friends” spins a thin story and places a spotlight on EDM (electronic dance music) culture.

“It mainly amounts to a 96-minute, stylized-within-an-inch-of-its-life music video with slow-motion close-ups on gyrating body parts, a PSA about the dangers of drugs and booze, pity sex in cars, a rather informative lesson in how to be a DJ and Efron showering a bunch,” USA Today said.

Besides Cole’s quest to be a famous DJ, the movie also tells a coming-of-age story many millennials can relate to. Cole and his friends, as well as Sophie, deal with the struggles of being independent financially, trying to get out of their hometown, following their dreams and dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one. Cole also struggles with the morality of a job he is doing for extra cash. They all just want to have their part of the American Dream.

ABC News said      the movie has realistic characters that keep the movie from being too cliché. 

“’We Are Your Friends’ allows the characters to be real people, and not as shallow as we may expect,” ABC News said.

Many people see EDM culture as full of repetitive music, dancing, sex and heavy drug use.  All of these things can be seen in “We Are Your Friends,” but ABC News says the movie tries very hard not to glamorize it.

“On the surface, the world of EDM may seem to most people to be about listening to annoyingly repetitive music while doing drugs and dancing all night. And while there’s a fair amount of that in ‘We Are Your Friends,’ the film goes to great lengths not to glamorize it — in fact, it hits you over the head with the dire consequences of reckless behavior,” ABC News said.

The movie also shows that EDM, or any music, needs to have soul to be successful, an important lesson James teaches Cole throughout the movie. Cole uses real sounds that are important to him to create the track that contributes to his success as a DJ.

The Atlantic said, according to “We Are Your Friends,” some sounds have more soul than others.

“A real human’s handclap, an acoustic piano note, percussion created by a stick hitting a drum—all noises supposedly preferable to the ones making up the tracks that Cole uses to amp up Silver Lake clubs on Thursday nights,” The Atlantic said.

“We Are Your Friends” is an enjoyable movie for EDM fans, Zac Efron fans, or anyone else wanting to watch a feel-good movie.