Library gains 3D printer

One%26%23160%3Bof%26%23160%3Bseveral%26%23160%3Bof%26%23160%3BMSU%26%238217%3Bs%26%23160%3B3D%26%23160%3Bprinters%26%23160%3B%28pictured%29%26%23160%3Bis%26%23160%3Blocated%26%23160%3Bin%26%23160%3BMitchell%26%23160%3BMemorial%26%23160%3BLibrary.%26%23160%3B

One of several of MSU’s 3D printers (pictured) is located in Mitchell Memorial Library.

Mitchell Memorial Library at Mississippi State University has added a 3D printer to the librarys’s services. The 3D printer was loaned to the library by the interior design department. Interior design students used the 3D printer to make furniture for their projects. Students can use the machine with software such as Google Sketch Up, Auto Desk and other programs that create 3D designs. When the 3D file is complete it must be transferred to a SD card for printing. The machine reads the card and melts down plastic filament to assembly the object layer by layer. 
Students can also submit a request online for printing by going through the tech and print link, on the libraries’ homepage. There is a cost of 20 cents per gram, a minimum of two dollars. Other departments charge 40 dollars for a membership fee for the maintenance of the machine, and repairing of tools. 
Thomas LA Foe, instructional technology specialist, started working with Dr. William Riehm when the library received the equipment and now La Foe oversees the printers’ day-to-day usage. 
“I believe that this is a great opportunity for students to prototype their design before trying to manufacture it large scale. The library hopes to expand and get more machines like this,” LA Foe said.
The library has been working with Bryan Patton and the Factory group on campus developing promotional materials for their usage.  
Along with the machine the library has partnered with other departments like Patterson Engineering to use their factory space, clothing lab to utilize their sewing machine and sewing stations to manufacture clothing and the wood shop in Giles hall.
The library hopes to become the center for all these service to lead other students to other departments. The goal is to make this available to all students not just engineering, interior design and architecture.