Study Abroad fair to begin

The Study abroad program is a unique experience any Mississippi State student can take part in. The Study Abroad Fair will take place on September 16th from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union.
 Annika Campbell, Study Abroad Coordinator, said the fair will highlight most of the forty faculty led programs available here at Mississippi State. Campbell said there will also be four provider companies with programs separate from State and information about twenty exchange programs.
 Campbell said, “We are always trying to gain more programs. Last year we had twenty two faculty led programs and this year we have over forty faculty led programs.”
Skye Cooley, assistant professor in the Communication Department, led a program to Ireland in Maymester of this past year with Emily Ryalls. Cooley said the Study Abroad program was a great way for students to be exposed to different perspectives on how other cultures live. 
  “Study abroad also would look good on a resume and set you apart,” Cooley said.
 Students should take advantage of the opportunity given by the Study Abroad Program. Cooley said now is the time where students are the most mobile and have summers free. He believes this might be when it is best to go abroad. 
 David Saucier, computer engineering major, did the Engineering Economy program in France this past summer. Saucier said they visited other European countries such as Spain and Switzerland. Saucier said the mix of places and people gave an overall incredible experience.
Study Abroad has opened students’ eyes. “Study abroad significantly expanded my world view, and it was really great to learn what engineering and business looked like on a global scale,” Saucier said.
Campbell said there are programs out there for all majors and there are short term and long-term options. Campbell said students learn skills they might not learn in a classroom setting and those skills can overflow to students’ job experiences. 
    Cooley said he encourages students to go out and see the world, find options available and the experience will cause you to embrace your own community better. Cooley said students get to interact in a way that usually does not happen in a normal classroom setting and the students get to share a unique life experience together. Faculty also gets a unique opportunity to teach in a different environment.
  Saucier said he would recommend this experience to friends and classmates because it was worth the trip. 
   Saucier said, “You’ll never have a chance to go on a trip of this value while it being so affordable. Scholarships I applied for were a huge help to me.”
   Now might be the best opportunity to have a trip of a lifetime while it is affordable and havethe experience goes towards a degree. Students and faculty alike have enjoyed the experiences the Study Abroad program has offered.  Go find out what trips are offered and take advantage of the opportunity to study in a new country.
    If you are interested in Study Abroad and cannot attend the fair on September 16th, the Study Abroad coordinators have interest meetings every week the rest of the fall semester. The interest meetings are every Monday at 3:30 pm in Allen 611 and every Tuesday at 11 am in Allen 612. Students can also visit the Study Abroad website at studyabroad.msstate.edu.
   Saucier said, “It has definitely been one of the best experiences of my college career.”