A Bulldog icon: MSU cherishes mascot Jak

Jacob Follin | The Reflector

Bully XXI (pictured), better known as Jak, is the current English bulldog serving as MSU’s official mascot. His official name is ‘Cristil Golden Prince,’ after the late MSU broadcaster, and he never fails to make an appearance when Bulldog spirit is necessary.

Mississippi State University is a school of many surprises and traditions. One of the most important members of the Bulldog family is Bully, the American Kennel Registered English bulldog who has been an MSU icon since 1939. 

Bully XXI, better known as Jak, is the current English bulldog serving as the university’s official mascot. His formal name is ‘Cristil Golden Prince,’ taking after the late MSU broadcaster, Jack Cristil. The passing of the harness from Bully XX, Champ, who entered full retirement at the age of 10, to Bully XXI, took place on April 18, 2015 during the Maroon and White spring game. 

Lisa Pritchard, a veterinary technician in the department of clinical sciences and the MSU Mascot coordinator, said she takes pride in her role as Bully’s mom.

“It is an honor that MSU gave me. I cherish it,” Pritchard said. “I love MSU and everything about it. To live with and work with one of the greatest dogs in the world is a privilege that I take very seriously. Anyone who knows me knows that my love for MSU and Bully is fierce and always will be.”

Pritchard said it was her idea for MSU to own Bully personally and the selection process was not easy. In the end, it was down to two dogs, and she knows she made the right decision.

“The future Bully XIX walked in the door with his head held high, like he was saying, ‘Here I am, the future of MSU mascots,’ and that is what he was. MSU purchased this pup and he became Bully XIX, Mississippi’s Ta’Tonka Gold,” she said.

Pritchard said she brought Bully XIX home with her and he immediately became part of her family and all of the Bullies have lived with her since.

“When ‘Tonka,’ as I affectionately called him, neared retirement, we bred him and his son became Bully XX, Ta’Tonka’s Golden Sun— ‘Champ’ as he is affectionately called,” she said. 

As Champ neared retirement, he was bred to produce Bully XXI in October of 2014. This is our current Bully, ‘Cristil’s Golden Prince,’ known as Jak.

According to Pritchard, Bully is more like a little boy than a dog, and she treats him like a son. Normally, his days consist of going to work with Pritchard at the veterinary school and lounging on her office couch, which she said could easily be called his couch as well.

“He gets loved on by veterinary students, veterinary technology students, faculty and staff at the veterinary school,” she said. “Every week, usually on Thursday or Friday, he has spa day. He gets a pedicure, bath and massage therapy. These are the days he looks forward to, not necessarily the bath or pedicure, but definitely the massage therapy.”

Bully resides at the College of Veterinary Medicine and he never fails to make appearances when Bulldog spirit is needed.

A student who wears a Bulldog suit and also goes by the title of Bully, is a part of the MSU cheerleading team and helps get the crowd moving during games and pep rallies.