Bulldogs bounce back, defeats Trojans in well-rounded game

Sarah Story, The Reflector

The Bulldogs defeated the Troy Trojans gaining a 45-17 victory Saturday. MSU is set to take on Louisiana Tech for Homecoming next Saturday at 11 a.m. The game will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

After a tough loss to Texas A&M, Mississippi State football bounced back with a dominating 45-17 victory over the Troy Trojans. MSU played a well-rounded game, scoring a touchdown on offense, defense and special teams.

The Bulldogs struck early as junior Wide Receiver Fred Ross took a screen pass to the house for a 59-yard touchdown reception on the second play from scrimmage. It was also his first touchdown of the season. Later in the first quarter Ross scored once again, this time on special teams with a 78-yard punt return touchdown.

“Dak did a good job on that play carrying out the fake and getting the defense off of him, Bear (De’Runnya Wilson) did a great job on the perimeter block,” said Fred Ross on his touchdown reception. “All I had to do was catch it and score.”

Ross was not the only star on offense today. Starting QB Dak Prescott left the game after MSU’s third offensive series as he was battling a stomach virus. In steps redshirt freshman Nick Fitzgerald, who would go on to win player of the game. Fitzgerald completed six of seven passes for 141 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran the ball eight times for 29 yards and a single touchdown.

“We are roommates, so he (Prescott) woke up this morning and told me he was throwing up all night. Then it hit me that this was time to get ready to go,” said Nick Fitzgerald.

De’Runnya Wilson led MSU receiving the football with 82 yards and he also scored one touchdown. Donald Gray also caught a touchdown pass and finished the day with two receptions for 56 yards. Once again no one stood out running the football as Dontavian Lee led MSU with 44 yards.

The defense played lights out in the first half. They held Troy to -20 rushing yards and 30 total yards in the first half. The defensive line dominated, opening holes allowing MSU to get a 15 tackles for loss. In the second they would struggle, as Troy scored all 17 of their points in the second half.

On Troy’s opening drive, MSU would score an early touchdown. As redshirt freshman Brandon Bryant, who is getting his first career start, sacked Brandon Silvers and forced a fumble. Nelson Adams would fall on the fumble in the endzone scoring a touchdown.

Ryan Brown had a big day registering seven total tackles along with a sack and 3.5 tackles for loss. Redshirt freshman Gerri Green led the Bulldogs in tackles with 11. In for the injured Kendrick Market, Safety Brandon Bryant had four tackles, one sack and a forced fumble.

“I thought they did some pretty good things. With the young players and talent we have out there we will see great improvement over the next couple weeks in those guys,” said Dan Mullen on the young Safeties stepping in for Market.

Mississippi State is now 4-2 on the season and only needs two more wins to get to bowl eligibility. They will take on Louisiana Tech next Saturday during Homecoming weekend. The game will begin at 11 a.m. and will broadcast on the SEC Network.