MSU Secondary: One man down, next man up

Jacob Folin

Senior defensive back Taveze Calhoun brings down a Louisiana Tech player. Calhoun will be expected to carry the secondary after several injuries have decimated the unit this season. 

Entering the year the Mississippi State secondary was the most experienced group on the team with three seniors starting across the four possible positions. Now mid-way through the year, after injuries to two of those seniors, the secondary looks like a MASH unit.

It all started against Texas A&M, when senior Safety Kendrick Market tore his ACL early in the second quarter. But as the saying goes one man down, next man up. So far this season that man has been redshirt freshman Brandon Bryant. There was much excitement surrounding Bryant entering the season as he was a young, talented athlete. 

However, his lack of experience kept him from winning a starting spot . But now with Market’s injury, the youngster is being forced into the starting role and his progression from the A&M game to now is more than obvious.

Fellow defensive back Kivon Coman noted that Bryant will have to grow up fast. “He can’t be young anymore, he has to step up. He has to remember that he is not a freshman anymore, he is a starter now,” Coman said.  In his first career start against Troy, the young playmaker made an impact early. He blitzed up the middle, showing off his elite speed, and hit Troy QB Brandon Silvers, sacking him and forcing a fumble. That fumble was picked up in the end zone for a MSU touchdown, giving the Bulldogs early momentum in a 45-17 rout. He showed more flashes of his potential against Louisiana Tech. Bryant picked off a deep pass by Tech QB Jeff Driskel and once again showed off that elite speed, returning the interception 74-yards for a pick six. 

“It’s part of stepping up, when someone goes down, you’ve gotta be the man. When your number’s called you’ve gotta make a play, ” the Tunica, Mississippi, native said.

“Coach put me in the right spots in the right times, it’s  just my part to make plays when coach puts me out there to make them.”

Bryant is not the only player being forced into a starting role by injuries. Junior Tolando Cleveland was given the starting cornerback job after star corner Will Redmond tore his ACL last week in practice. As a junior, Cleveland’s experience has been different than Bryant’s. 

Bryant has had to  step in to learn quickly, but Cleveland has had to step up on the field in his play and as a leader off of it.

“I have to be a little more vocal, you can’t really think about it, you just assume the position. I got to help lead this group, I have to help lead these young guys because that’s the future,” Cleveland said on his leadership role. Starting Safety Kivon Coman has  also been forced into a larger role due to the injuries that have decimated the secondary. 

Coman  has already begun to take on that mantle of responsibility, leading the team in tackles against Kentucky last Saturday. He is not someone who will wow you with speed, but he is a smart player who is always in position, and that showed in his 11 tackled performance.

“I’m a leader back there now, I hold myself to a higher standard. I know how I need to play and who looks up to me, so I have to play better and better every week,” Coman said on the added pressures as leader with Market and Redmond out.

Above all, the biggest responsibility now belongs to Taveze Calhoun. He is the lone senior remaining with Redmond and Market out. In his first game without Redmond opposite  him, the veteran made huge plays. After leaving briefly with what looked like could be a serious injury, Calhoun came back on the field and made a one handed catch, intercepting Kentucky QB Patrick Towles.   Later in the game he tipped a deep throw from Towles, dived  to catch the ball, and made the interception. Calhoun’s effort gained him a spot on Sportscenter’s Top 10 Plays  the same night. 

Head coach Dan Mullen spoke highly of Calhoun’s ability to acknowledge that he would have to make a bigger impact in his teammate’s absence.

“As an older guy you understand that  and say, ‘Hey I have to go play at a higher level, and go make big  plays,’ like he did Saturday night now that some of the other playmakers are out,” Mullen said.  

Taveze Calhoun and the MSU secondary will get another chance to shine next Thursday at Missouri at 8 p.m. on ESPN.