BYX to host annual Island Party

Emma Katherine Hutto | The Reflector

MSU’s  Beta Upsilon Chi, Christian fraternity, will host its annual Island Party from 8-11 p.m. on Oct. 22 at the Amphitheater. Last year’s event (pictured) headlined the Weeks and Rock Eupora with a crowd of 2,500 people. This year, Chasing Edom will open for Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors.

Beta Upsilon Chi will host a free concert for students at the Amphitheater from 8-11 p.m. on Oct. 22.

The event, titled “Island Party,” will have Chasing Edom as the opening act and Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors as the headlining entertainment. 

This will be BYX’s 15th time hosting the event. Last year, the fraternity had about 2,500 people come to see Rock Eupora and the Weeks perform. 

Taylor Thomas, BYX vice president, was the social chair for last year’s event. Thomas said his favorite thing about the event last year was the diversity of the crowd.

“We   had the Weeks last year, and they definitely brought in a crowd that usually wouldn’t find themselves at an event that’s put on by a Christian organization,” Thomas said. “I thought that was really cool.”

There will be T-shirts, cheese fries and snow cones for sale at the event and Ryan Brown will be speaking between the two performances. 

Hunter Walt, sophomore biochemistry major, plays keyboard and auxiliary percussion for Chasing Edom. Walt said the band is looking forward to performing.

“We are all very excited to open for a high-caliber musician,” Walt said. “I think free live music on campus is awesome, especially when the headlining band is one of the top upcoming indie-folk artists around right now.”

Thomas said he is expecting about 3,000 people this year and he is hopeful that the event will continue to grow each year. For more information, students can follow @MSU_IslandParty on Twitter.