International Education Week sparks unity, cultural events

Celebrations and promotions of international programs are taking place this week as International Education Week (IEW) began Monday.  This world-wide celebration of international education endeavors was initiated by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education in 2000.
Mississippi State University’s Holmes Cultural Diversity Center is sponsoring a weeklong array of events dedicated to International Education Week and each day features a “Challenge” for activities each day that encourage utilizing the events to learn new cultural aspects. 
As part of this week’s events, MSU’s International Student Advisory Board (ISAB) will host “Chat n Chew” at 11 a.m. Thursday in room 325 of the Colvard Student Union and “Coffee, Culture and Conversation” at 4 p.m. Thursday in room 325 of the Colvard Student Union.
Priyanka Gadre, president of the International Student Advisory Board, said ISAB began in 2014 and has expanded from 10 to almost 40 members. 
“Our mission is to enhance the college experience of international students at MSU,” Gadre said. “Domestic students can be a part too. We have people from India, China, Iran, Pakistan, Nepal, Germany, Russia, Columbia, Bahamas, Honduras, Japan, South Korea, Uzbekistan and other places.”
Gadre said “Chat n Chew” is hosted every month by ISAB to educate international students about American culture and MSU. 
“Previously, we have had sessions on How to play American sports, credit score in America, and the police department talked to us about different regulations,” Gadre said. “This week, as a part of IEW, chat and chew will be a student mixer for international as well as domestic students to mingle and make new friends.”
Free Starbucks coffee and cookies will be provided during the Coffee Culture and Conversation event Thursday, and will host different language booths to teach students conversational basics of speaking German, Spanish, Japanese, Hindi and more.
Through gaining insight into different countries and cultures in Starkville, Gadre said the events are sure to be enjoyable.
“It’s a really fun to be a part you get to know about so many different countries and cultures here in Starkville,” she said. “My personal favorites are coffee, culture and conversations. I plan to learn a couple of new languages. I will also attend the guest speaker on Wednesday in Lee Hall at 6p.m. He has traveled to 175 countries and I am excited to hear about his experience.”
Events this week include an International Fiesta Poster Design Contest (HCDC all week), Paint and Pin (10 a.m.- 2 p.m. on Nov. 17 first floor of Colvard Student Union), Developing International and Intercultural Communication Skills (12:30 -2 p.m. on Nov. 17 in Library Auditorium), Cultural Exchange Dinner (6 p.m. on Nov. 17 in Foster Ballroom U of Colvard Student Union), Study Abroad Photo Contest Reception (3:30 p.m. on Nov. 18 in room 330 of Colvard Student Union), Speaker Gary Arndt (6 p.m. on Nov. 18 in Lee Hall Bettersworth Auditorium), Chat n Chew (11 a.m. on Nov. 19 in room 325 of Colvard Student Union), Interactive Cultural Simulation (2 p.m. on Nov. 19 in room 328 of Colvard Student Union), Coffee, Culture and Conversation (4 p.m. on Nov. 19 in Dawg House of Colvard Student Union), Sweet Treats with NRHH (6:30 -7:30 p.m. on Nov. 19 at Student Union Pavilion) and Open Mics from Around the World (7 p.m. on Nov. 20 in Dawg House of Colvard Student Union).