Famous Maroon Band presents history, traditions on Drill Field

The Epsilon chapter of Mississippi State University’s Famous Maroon Band service fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi will hold an informative presentation from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Tuesday on the Drill Field.

Zach Schilling, member of Kappa Kappa Psi and sophomore aerospace engineering major, said members of the fraternity will hand out flyers with history and traditions of MSU’s Famous Maroon Band, including the history of Kappa Kappa Psi and its role in the band’s existence.

November is Kappa Kappa Psi’s Month of Musicianship and this presentation is to help celebrate the Famous Maroon Band and the fraternity.

Schilling said Month of Musicianship began in November 2006 and is a time to celebrate the fraternity’s love of music in college bands and service to others.

“This celebration is a reflection of our mission and purposes and provides a dedicated time to go beyond the chapter and the band itself,” Schilling said. “Events and activities are usually documented and photographed to be shared on social media and the fraternity’s national publication, The Podium. Chapters across America are participating in special projects to do what we love, music and service.”

Ryan Smith, senior music education and German double major and recording secretary of the Epsilon Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi, said he is excited to share information about the Famous Maroon Band with others at this event.

“I’m excited about sharing my love of the Famous Maroon Band and all the hard work the 350 members put in every week, starting before school starts in the fall and ending after the bowl game,” Smith said.

Da’Shun McMillian, senior broadcasting major and historian of Kappa Kappa Psi, said this is the first time the fraternity has hosted this event and they are very excited about it.

“I’m excited that the students will get the chance to learn more about that band and who we are, and to show them why we love being in band and that we are proud of our history,” McMillian said.

Thad Fairley, senior communications major and Kappa Kappa Psi member, said this is an excellent opportunity for MSU students to learn not only about the band’s history, but MSU’s history too.

“Many of the students do not know much about the history of the Famous Maroon Band. This is a chance for us to help them learn more about the band,” Fairley said. “Not only will they learn about the band, but they will learn a little more about the history of the university as well.”

The presentation also serves as an invitation to a late fall concert by the Wind Ensemble that will take place Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in McComas Hall at the main stage theater.

More information about the Famous Maroon Band and Kappa Kappa Psi can be found at www.msuband.msstate.edu or www.kkp.org.msstate.edu.

The public can also follow Kappa Kappa Psi on Twitter @TeamEpsilon and like on Facebook at Kappa Kappa Psi – Epsilon.