Hogs get blocked: Bulldogs conquer Arkansas Razorbacks in 51-50 win with field goal block

Noah Siano

The Mississippi State University Bulldogs pulled off a 51-50 win against the Arkansas Razorbacks Saturday night. Senior linebacker Beniquez Brown saved the game by blocking (pictured) a late field goal attempt by the Razorbacks, providing the Bulldogs momentum entering the Egg Bowl game.

In a game that could be described as a quarterback duel, it would be the Bulldog defense that would save the day. Senior linebacker Beniquez Brown blocked a late field goal attempt by the razorbacks to seal a 51-50 victory for MSU and give them momentum heading into the Egg Bowl.
If you missed Saturday’s game against SEC opponent Arkansas then you missed one for the books as Mississippi State comes out on top. Arkansas came into the game coming off a big win against SEC top running back in Fournette and the LSU Tigers. Arkansas’s running back, Alex Collins, has rushed for over 100 yards for four straight games, including the LSU Tigers. When Dan was asked about Arkansas, he said “They have a lot of talent and now they are exciting at an extremely high level.”
Mississippi State would be coming off a terrible home loss against top SEC team, Alabama. This game would be crucial to the Bulldogs season as they turn things around before the last home game that would host the Egg Bowl. 
While temperatures were expected to be freezing, Mississippi State jumped out to a 31-21 lead in the first half. The Bulldogs fought hard as they exchanged leads for three times over the course of the game. During the game, Prescott set a an all time MSU record with over 500 yards passing and had a total of 7 touchdowns. Prescott even had two receivers over 100 yards receiving in Fred Ross, who caught a spectacular one-handed catch, and Brandon Holloway. Prescott and wide Receiver De’Runnya Wilson also set a record with the most prolific scoring tandem that would surpass Tyler Russell and Chad Bumphis old record. Ultimately, the defense would be the difference as junior linebacker Beniquez Brown would come up with a blocked field goal in the final seconds of the fourth quarter. When asked about the exciting win, Dan Mullen said, “it’s got to be up there with one of the greatest finishes I’ve ever been involved in.” Also after the game, Dak Prescott would also receive Offensive Player of the Week, which would add to his incredible collegiate resume.
 The Bulldogs will face its state rival in Ole Miss. This year MSU will host the Egg Bowl as both Mississippi SEC teams battle for the Golden Egg. Mississippi State currently leads the Egg Bowl’s largest victory beating Ole Miss 65-0 in 1915. Ole Miss currently holds the all time series record with 62-43-6. 1901 was the first ever Egg Bowl meeting and Mississippi A&M (now Mississippi State) won 17-0. Last weeks win would surely be a push that the Bulldogs needed after that home loss against Alabama. With Prescott continuing to have a record-breaking season., it will surely be another loud and rowdy game during the Egg Bowl.