Snow brings days to relax

Mississippi State University authorities dangled the possibility of canceling class due to inclement weather over the heads of students for days. The teasing officially came to an end due to Wednesday’s rain, slow and sleet mix, and students were elated over the reality of a snow day.

Authorities predicted three to five inches of snow in Starkville, which had local residents preparing for the worst.

Students, on the other hand, prepared for a day of relaxation. La’Keisha Taylor, senior kinesiology major, said she feels this snow day is a much needed break from the stresses of senior year. 

“I don’t know if I am more excited about sleeping in or catching up on Netflix,” Taylor said. 

The students employed on campus had a different perspective on the snow day. 

Brooke Ratliff, senior interior design major, works as an information assistant in a resident hall on campus and, unfortunately,  was still expected to show up for work. 

“Any other time, being considered an essential employee is an honor,” Ratliff said. “I don’t feel very essential when I am forced to work in inclement weather.”

Information assistants are not the only employees required to travel through the snow to work. Custodians, Dining Services and Sanderson staff were all expected to weather the storm for the sake of their jobs. 

Campus employees were not the only ones dreading the snow. Students who rely heavily on campus technologies were not too fond of the idea of campus closing. 

Dominique Land, senior industrial engineering major, said time off from school is much needed, but not having access to campus resources can be somewhat of a setback.

“Being an engineering student, I love an off day just as much as the next student because it gives me a chance to catch up on sleep and school work,” Land said. “Closing campus really puts me in a bind being that majority of my work is done using campus resources.” 

Whether the snow day was used for extra sleep, catching up on homework or even getting up to date on one’s favorite TV shows, not having to see the inside of a classroom seemed to be what students were looking  forward to the most.