Weed science professor selected to hold Hartwig chair

Dan+Reynolds
Megan Bean | Courtesy Photo
Dan Reynolds

Award-winning MSU weed science professor has been selected to hold the Edgar E. and Winifred B. Hartwig Endowed Chair in Soybean Agronomy.
Reynolds was named scientist of the year by the Southern Weed Science Society of America. According to a University press release, his educational background includes a doctoral graduate degree in crop science from Oklahoma State University and bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Arkansas.
Mike Phillips, head of MSU’s plant and soil sciences department states in the press release, “Dr. Reynolds has a vast knowledge of soybean production systems, specifically when it comes to weed control and agronomy.” 
According to the press release, Reynolds is a cropping systems researcher with the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station and focuses primarily on weed science and agronomy in his research. He is also an agronomy specialist with the MSU Extension Service.
Edgar Hartwig had a 47-year career with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service in Stoneville. He was responsible for developing many of the soybean varieties grown both in the South and locales around the world with similar climates.
Within the press release Reynolds described becoming Hartwig Chair as  “a tremendous honor.” 
He stated, “My hope is that this chair will not only provide the soybean producers of Mississippi valuable short-term returns, but also serve as a living legacy gift that will benefit producers for years to come,” the press release reads.
In 2007, an initial contribution by Winifred Hartwig established the endowment, according to the press release. The release also states the Mississippi Soybean Promotion Board joined in 2013 with Missouri-based Monsanto Co. and Switzerland’s Syngenta agrochemical company to provide full funding.
Prior to holding Hartwig Chair, Reynolds held the Dr. Glover B. Triplett Endowed Chair in Agronomy. Reportedly, his replacement in that position is expected to be announced in the near future.