Library to feature Kinsey Collection

The Mitchell Memorial Library at Mississippi State University will host African American Treasures from the Kinsey Collection on March 9-13.
The Kinsey Collection was started by Bernard and Shirley Kinsey in the mid-1980s through their son, Khalil, and his third grade project on their family’s history. The collection continued to grow, and today it holds over 400 years of history and is one of the largest privately owned African-American collections.
The collection is comprised of a rich cultural and historical heritage through the works of African American artists such as Jonathan Green, documents and artifacts related to Frederick Douglas and Malcolm X.
Stephen Middleton, director and professor of the African American studies program, was instrumental in bringing the idea to the library. This led to a partnership with the Mississippi Humanities Council, which provided the land grant to make this project a reality.
Francis Coleman, dean of MSU Libraries, said she is honored the collection is coming to MSU.
“This is an opportunity for everyone to get a chance to see a special exhibit and artwork, and it is a fascinating opportunity for our community,” Coleman said.
The set-up of the collections will began March 9-13, with Khalil as the overseer. Once the exhibit opens, the visiting hours will be on select weekends and during regular library hours. There will be tours on which visitors can see hanging and standalone pieces, while a knowledgeable guide will be on hand to answer questions regarding the artwork.
Security will supervise the exhibit at MSU, which is Exhibit II.
The California African-American Museum in Los Angeles, Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida and the Smithsonian Institution are among other locations the exhibit has been featured.
Stephen Cunetto, systems administrator at MSU Libraries, said he hopes this will bring people to Starkville from the surrounding states to see the exhibit.
“I am excited to be hosting this opportunity for the students and the citizens from the Golden Triangle Area,” Cunetto said.
Leilani Salter, administrative assistant to the dean, said she is excited to feature the Kinsey Collection in the library. 
Other events in connection to this event include the Ragtime festival March 26-28 and the Gatsby Gala. A Kinsey public reception will be held on March 21, and Kinsey will give a presentation on March 22.