MSU’s comeback bid falls short

silkwood+pitching
Sarah Story | The Reflector
silkwood pitching

Mississippi State’s softball team fought valiantly in a tough 3-2 loss to the 22nd ranked South Alabama Jaguars. The Jaguars’ record improves to 32-7 and a 4-2 all-time matchup record versus the Bulldogs. 
Scoring in the game started late as both teams struggled to get good hits in the beginning. 
The  defense for both teams was unyielding through the first three innings, as neither team scored any runs.     
Bulldogs’ pitcher Alexis Silkwood allowed only one walk in the top of the second inning, and recorded a strikeout later in the third. 
The game quickly started to turn in the Jaguars favor in the fourth after a double hit by South Alabama’s Kaitlyn Griffith. 
Followed by that, two single hits allowed the senior infielder to score the first run of the game and put the Jaguars up 1-0. 
Just one inning later, the Jaguars capitalized on their lead by scoring two runs, off of a double hit by infielder Chloe Rathburn. This extended the Jaguars’ lead to 3-0 over the Bulldogs. 
In the bottom of the fifth, the Bulldogs’ outfielder Loryn Nichols took advantage of a throwing error by the Jaguars and seized third base. 
Following that a single up the middle by Caroline Seitz displaced the defense, and allowed Nichols to put the Bulldogs on the board 3-1. 
Still trailing in the bottom of the sixth, MSU hit two singles early in the inning, which allowed pinch runner Madison Arroyo to score after a sacrifice fly ball by infielder Kayla Winkfield and brought the Bulldogs to 3-2.
 Later, in the bottom of the seventh inning, the Bulldogs tried to continue their rally, after the Jaguars allowed two batters to walk. But facing a two out situation, Silkwood’s bouncer just across the middle was caught and she was thrown out at first base.
Silkwood, the SEC’s two-time Pitcher of the Week winner, allowed three runs on four earned hits by the Jaguars after playing the complete game with roughly 103 pitches.
The Bulldogs, now with a record of 31-13, will look to turn things around this weekend as they host the 12th ranked Tennessee Volunteers in a 3-game series for Super Bulldog Weekend, starting Friday, April 17, at 5:30 p.m.