Archer shatters record, MSU dominates Clash

Schools from the states of Mississippi and Alabama arrived in Starkville Friday to compete in the 2015 Border Clash.  Mississippi State University teamed with the trio of Ole Miss, Alcorn State and Southern Mississippi to face Alabama, Auburn, Alabama State and Samford.  In the end, the Mississippi team emerged victorious over Alabama by an overall score of 98-93, while the women’s team fell to Alabama 108-81. 
The Bulldogs paced the efforts of the Mississippi squads by tallying nine individual wins, the most notable of those coming from senior Ocian Archer.  Archer broke the 400 meters hurdles school record with a time of 59.19 seconds.  MSU’s Jovan Davis won first place in the 400 meters hurdles as well.  Archer was happy with her production in the event and expressed she had more goals to attain later in the season.
“It’s a big excitement for me because it took me a long time to get here,” Archer said. “I’m hoping to get my time dropped down next week to do well for nationals. My goal right now is to make nationals for my individual event, but also get points for my team and do well.” 
Other notable finishes came from Erica Bougard who finished first in the 100 meters hurdles and her teammate Rhianwedd Price.  With a personalbest time of 2:05.00; which was good for the second best time in school history, Price was the victor in the 800 meters run.  Senior Ebony Brinker also notched a victory for the Dogs in the triple jump.  Marcus Jackson and Curtis Thompson brought home first place finishes in the high jump and javelin throw respectively.  
MSU’s final wins came in the 4×400 meter relay as both the men’s and women’s teams earned victories in the closing event of the meet.