Ben Howland introduced at Humphrey Coliseum

In a conference where the arms race for great coaches is at an all-time high, Mississippi State University showed it could hire a prominent, successful coach as the Bulldog faithful welcomed new men’s basketball Head Coach Ben Howland with open arms.
Hundreds of fans were in attendance at Humphrey Coliseum on Tuesday as the 20th head basketball coach in school history was introduced to Bulldog Nation.
“I am really humbled and overwhelmed by the crowd that is here today,” Howland said. “To be a part of Mississippi State University that is steeped in tradition and is recognized as the flagship research institution in this state is a big deal. It is an incredible honor and blessing for me.”
Howland brings something to Starkville that a head coach has never brought in with his past experiences as a coach – he is a proven winner.
Howland brings 19 years of head coaching experience, leading his squad to the NCAA tournament 10 times and advancing to the Sweet 16 five times, including an amazing three-consecutive Final Four appearances from 2006-08. He won the Conference Coach of the Year in three different leagues with three different teams (UCLA, Pittsburgh and Northern Arizona.)
MSU President Mark Keenum voiced his astonishment over Coach Howland’s track record.
“I am impressed with Coach Howland’s resume,” Keenum said. “He has been successful at the highest levels of college basketball, and I have every confidence he will bring that same proven, winning formula to Mississippi State as well.”
When it comes to work on the court, Howland talked about what the MSU fans would see in the next basketball season.
“Nobody is going to play harder than Mississippi State,” Howland said. “No one will be better prepared than our players and team as we get ready for the season.”
The new head coach met his team for the first time on Monday and was impressed with the attitude and character he saw and appreciated the culture former Head Coach Rick Ray instilled in the program.
“Coach Ray and his staff recruited not only good players, but young men of high character and integrity because that’s who we expect to represent this university and this basketball program,” Howland said.
Howland strongly believes defense wins championships in basketball, and he plans on bringing his formula with him to the Bulldogs. 
“Defense wins on the road, and you have to win on the road to be a champion,” Howland said.
Although defense is a priority for Howland, his offensive strategy is to push the ball whenever possible to create shots after misses, but especially after makes.
“Most teams do not expect you to run after they scored,” Howland said. “Most of the time kids are celebrating and meanwhile (my team) is taking the ball up to the net trying to get a layup, a wide open three or a good shot depending on who is taking it.”
In his last year at UCLA in 2013, Howland’s Bruins led the conference in scoring and was eighth in the nation in transition offense.
The themes Coach Howland brings are speed on offense and toughness on defense. He will form the Bulldogs into a hard-nosed, blue-collar, grind-it-out team that can pressure even the most potent offenses in the SEC. His team will outrun its opponents in the final five minutes of the game, forcing mistakes offensively with elegant trap plays.
This is how Howland has been successful in all his former jobs, but now wrapped in a new color ­— Maroon and White.