Nine-twentynine presents comedy night

Nine-twentynine Coffee Bar will host Comedy Night from 8-10 p.m. Saturday in the establishment’s lower level basement.

The night will be full of comedic performances presented by people from various places. Chad Barasch, Nine-twentynine manager, said this is the coffee shop’s fourth time to host the event. 

“Comics come from various places, and we have a different group every time. Our first group was from Austin, Texas,” Barasch said. 

Saturday’s         group includes mostly Hattiesburg, Mississippi residents. The list includes Zach Bragg, Peter Davenport, Sam Lyons, Jason Wirth, Nick Guyton and Narado.  Two of the men have participated in the event before. Brandon Strickland will host the event.

According to Barasch, the acts will be shorter this time because they have so many participants, and the content of the night is entirely up to the comic and could vary greatly. He also said Nine-twentynine will offer microbrew beer as well as a small corking fee for those who choose to bring their own wine.

Alex Newell, a barista at Nine-twentynine and former attendee, said she suggests getting there early due to the fact seats fill up quickly. 

“My favorite act was a guy from Hattiesburg who made me laugh so hard my sides were hurting,” Newell said.

Newell said many people invite their parents or high school students to check out the hilarious acts. There are also a variety of local residents and professors who attend the event.

“Many people invite others to show them what Starkville is about,” Newell said.

A booth will be set up at the front of the shop to check in or purchase tickets. Attendees can then proceed to the lower level for the show. Attendees will also be offered the chance to grab a drink before heading down to the performance. 

Jamie Anderson, a barista at the coffee shop, said he has attended the event before. He said tickets are $12 online and $18 at the door. The last show sold out, and it is highly suggested attendees buy their tickets during pre-purchase. Tickets can be purchased at 929coffee.givezooks.com/events/comedy-night-929.