Howland to replace Rick Ray as men’s basketball head coach

Mississippi State University has zeroed in on Ben Howland to be the next head coach for the men’s basketball team MSU officially announced Monday night.
“I am impressed with Coach Howland’s resume,” MSU president Mark E. Keenum said in a news release. “He has been successful at the highest levels of college basketball, and I have every confidence he will bring that same proven, winning formula to Mississippi State as well.” 
Rob Dauster of nbcsports.com was the first person to report the former UCLA coach had emerged as the front runner for the job.
 Evan Daniels of scout.com tweeted that, according to a source, there was high interest on both sides to get the deal done, but nothing was final on Sunday.
Jeff Goodman of espn.com reported Monday morning MSU and Howland had verbally agreed on terms for him to become the head basketball coach. Gary Parrish of cbssports.com tweeted MSU’s affiliation with Adidas played no small part in the hire. Howland has had a relationship with Adidas for years. 
 Howland has been the head coach at three different schools throughout his career. Howland began his head coaching career at Northern Arizona then moved to Pittsburgh. He most recently coached the UCLA Bruins from 2003-14.
 The former 2001-02 AP National Coach of the Year has a career record of 398-205. Howland previously led UCLA to three straight Final Fours from 2006-08. He took UCLA to a first-place finish in the Pac-12 in 2012-13, but was fired after the season.
 Howland served as a television analyst for the past two years for NBC Sports.

“I’m just so humble and grateful to be the new basketball coach at Mississippi State university,” Howland said. “I’m elated and excited the opportunity build a consistent winner here at State. I know we have some of the greatest fans in the country and I look forward to making them proud of our team and our efforts. Hail State.”
With the hire MSU  becomes the third school in college sports to employ coaches that have been in the New Year’s 6, College World Series and Final Four in football, baseball and basketball respectively. The other two schools with this accomplishment are Texas and Louisville.
Stricklin found the replacement for former Head Coach Rick Ray. Ray was at the helm for the Bulldogs for three years and posted a 37-60 record.