Book-to-film ‘Insurgent’ is action-packed

The second movie in the Divergent Series, “Insurgent,” premiered in theaters on Friday in 2D and 3D, with more action scenes and shocking plot twists than the first movie of the series, “Divergent.”

The New York Times reported, “Tighter, tougher and every bit as witless as its predecessor, ‘The  Divergent Series: Insurgent’– the second segment in the cycle – arrived with a yawn and ends with a bang.”

“Insurgent” is based on the book trilogy for young adults by Veronica Roth. Stars of the movie include Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Kate Winslet, Naomi Watts and Octavia Spencer.

The movie takes place in dystopian Chicago, Illinois, where society is split into five factions based on its members’ personalities. There are also divergents, who are people that do not fit into any one faction. According to Jeanine (Kate Winslet,) the leader of the factions, the divergents will be the downfall of society, and she is set out to destroy them.

Woodley plays the heroine of the story, Tris Prior. She is a young divergent dealing with the death of her parents, and she wants to kill Jeanine to bring peace to the dystopian world. With the help of her boyfriend Four, played by Theo James, and a group of other divergents, they fight Jeanine throughout the movie.

“Insurgent” has more action and special effects than its predecessor. After being trained by the dauntless faction in “Divergent,” Tris is more willing and able to fight in the second movie than in the first. Although Tris is small and looks unintimidating, she is the main character in every action scene. At one point, Tris is even in a simulated fight against herself. ABC News said “Insurgent” is action-packed, but it is just like every other movie in which only a teenager can save the world, similar to “The Hunger Games.”

“The action, although predictable, is bigger and bolder than in the first movie,” the news outlet said.

To people who have not read the books, “Insurgent” is full of shocking plot twists as well as action scenes. The most shocking moment was the betrayal of Tris’s brother, Caleb (Ansel Elgort) to Tris and the rest of the group.

Peter, played by Miles Teller, is another member of the group in the fight against Jeanine. Peter contributes to another one of the movie’s surprising plot twists. Unlike Caleb’s betrayal, Peter’s loyalty to the rest of the group is a surprise to viewers. Peter also adds some comedy to “Insurgent.” CNN said Peter gives welcome comedy to the otherwise serious movie.

The third movie in the Divergent Series, “Allegiant: Part 1,” is set to premier in theaters on March 18, 2016.