Sanderson to update software, facility access

The Sanderson Recreational Center at Mississippi State University is in the process of implementing changes. The Sanderson is currently updating software that manages facility access, memberships, equipment inventory and product sales. The system has not been updated since 1984, when the Sanderson first opened.
The system, Innovative Fusion, will be effective May 9. The system is expected to improve overall Sanderson operations by tracking facility usage and day-to-day operations. MSU students can expect new policies.
Laura Wailing, Sanderson Center director, said the changes will not be immediately apparent.
“These changes are not monumental. Visitors will not walk in and say ‘oh wow, look at that,’ but they are definitely important,” Wailing said. “It’s more behind the scenes stuff. The new system will help us work more efficiently, which ultimately helps us make the Sanderson better for our guests. The Sanderson offers a great opportunity to get rid of stress, socialize and exercise. We’re making the total experience better for our visitors.”
One change students will notice is the removal of having to scan IDs to gain entrance into the facility. Instead, students will input their nine-digit MSU ID number and scan their right hand into the hand key reader. The new software will need to re-enter information from students and staff. Over the next few weeks, there will be a kiosk set up in the facility for guests to rescan their hands quickly.
Visitors should also be prepared to present their student IDs in order to check out equipment.  The updated software is an improved means to track inventory. Guests can only receive inventory such as towels or sports paraphernalia after showing an ID.
As always, visitors will need to present an ID to play an intramural sport.
The Sanderson will adopt an online portal that students, faculty and staff utilize to register for lessons, access intramural league accounts or renew memberships. Currently, only credit cards can be used on the portal. New faculty, staff and sponsored members will still need to come by the Member Services Office of the Sanderson Center to create a membership, but from that point on new guests can also renew online.
Justin Brickler, a Sanderson regular, said he is excited to see the changes to the facility.
“The Sanderson is an important part of the campus. It’s a chance for students to come together and work on their health and fitness,” he said. “These changes seem cool. It’s good that they are trying to better incorporate fitness into people’s lives. Staying in shape is important, and people should remember that.”
The Sanderson will be closed March 9 in order to train staff on the new software. It will reopen the following morning and resume normal hours.