‘Sodas for Siblings’ prepares soon-to-be siblings

The Oktibbeha County Regional Medical Center (OCH) will host a class to help younger children deal with the transition of becoming an older sibling. The “Sodas for Siblings” class is one of many classes the hospital provides for families. The hour-long class will be held March 21 in the OCH Educational Facility at 2 p.m.
The class is free for children whose parents are enrolled in the Stork Support program, a class that prepares future mothers for childbirth. The class is $20 for one sibling and $15 for each additional child.
After the class ends, children will receive a certificate, along with an “I’m a Big Brother” or “I’m a Big Sister” T-shirt and an ice cream party. 
Interested families can register by visiting och.org under “Special Beginnings Classes.”
OCH Perinatal Educator Paula Hamilton said becoming an older sibling can be a confusing time for a young child, and this class can help eliminate anxiety.
“When a new baby is on the way, it is an exciting and confusing time for older siblings,” Hamilton said. “We at OCH believe in nurturing the whole family during this experience.  Siblings are huge part of that, and we want them to feel part of the experience. We hold these classes to let the big brother and big sister know there is enough love in the family for everyone, and that they can play an important role with the new baby.”
Hamilton said her favorite part of the class is connecting with people in the community.
“I enjoy being able to reach out to the families in our communities and getting to know them on a deeper level.  Nothing is more important than family, and it’s an honor to be a part of such a special time in a family’s life,” Hamilton said.
Jennifer Bridges, junior biology major, said years ago she attended a program similar to “Sodas for Siblings,” and it taught her not to question whether or not she was loved.
“Did the class help me?” Bridges questioned herself aloud. “Yes and no. I still didn’t understand why my mom had to go and have another child. I was seven and perfectly happy with being an only child. However, the class taught me to never forget that I was loved. I rarely wanted to help out with my baby sister, but I never resented her. That has to count for something.”
“Sodas for Siblings” discusses a variety of topics including sharing, safety and the importance of hand washing.
Katie Langley, a previous “Soda for Siblings” participant, said she thoroughly enjoyed the class because it was fun and informative.
“It was really helpful to let the older siblings know what to expect. Paula told them so much,” Langley said. “She gave the kids dolls and taught them how to change diapers, give bottles and be great little helpers for mommy and daddy. The most helpful part was a tour of the hospital. My older daughter Emma Jane got to see a labor and delivery room. It prepared her for when it was our time to be in there. The whole program gave us something to talk about so it wouldn’t be so scary for her later.”